• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 & ARB Locker pumping oil out breather line.

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 44 with a ARB air locker and it is pumping oil out the breather line about 1/2" in a softdrink can per 200km. I have overfilled it on purpose to make up for the fact that the diff is turned up for the double cardin DS. I have heard that the ARB locker may do this or is it just because I have over filled it. The level was about 1/2 below the filler hole with the vehicle level which would point to fact that oil is being pumped out for some reason. I am still monitoring exactly what is happening. Has anybodyelse had similiar trouble.

Did you follow the instructions and provide the oil relief hole by the carrier bearing?

More info is needed: Is this a new installation, with the problem immediately seen? Or did this problem just recently start?
As xjdavid1 indicated, some D44 housings have the oil return notch in the wrong place. When installing the new ARB's; ie. model 116, the air ring will cut off oil return. These housings must be corrected when installing the ARB. On housings that are correct, bad oil seals in the ARB air ring could also result in oil being forced into the air line to the solenoid.

There is no oil coming out the ail line in the back although I had to have the front arb reinstalled twice to get it to stop pumping oil out the air line. Seems like they are hard to install correctly.

The instruction manual clearly shows what to look for (page 9) and how to modify the housing (one axle tube only) if required. Neither of my axle assemblies needed these mods.

i had the same problem with mine. it's already been pointed out in the thread, but mine was the fact that the shop didn't drill that hole that needs to be drilled. got it drilled out and it fixed my issues.

Back