• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 T-Case Question

bc rockies

NAXJA Forum User
I am just about to do a rebuild on the NP 424 T-case in my 97 XJ. I have ordered a FSM ... but the problem is it is going to take up to two weeks for it to arrive via mail. I was hoping to get started on the rebuild today. I am trying to get my hands on the pages of a FSM that deal with the t-case rebuild.

Is the FSM available online ? I am desperate enought to pay to download a copy, instead of waiting 2 weeks.

Is the FSM available on CD-rom ? If it is would someone be willing to email me the pages that deal with the t-case rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Whats wrong with it now? Why are you going into it? Maybe I can help you. Its not a whole lot different then a 231. It has an extra differental on the main shaft that provides a 48/52 power split between the front/rear drive shafts. Its always easy for the guy who has already dont it to say its easy, but its really not bad. I have a fsm for the 2000. Same stuff. Like I say, whats it doing. I may be able to tell you a few things before you get into it.

Last edited:
Front output bearing is making noise. Everthing is ok in two wheel drive, but as soon as I run it in full-time or part-time 4x4 is is noisy. I took the front driveshaft off and when I spin the front output shaft by hand you can hear (what I am guessing) the output bering making noise. With the front shaft out I put it in full-time 4/4 (so that only the front shaft would turn, due to the differential) and put it in gear, and at an idle the front output shaft is making a racket.

OK I see. Is there much metal in the oil? Can you move the front output shaft if you grab it and try to wiggle it? Some times the chain slaps the case and you will see alum. in the oil. The steel pretty much sticks to the magnet.

Last edited:
I have already pulled it out of the jeep. I will check the oil tomorrow.... I see what you are bringing up ... stretched chain vs bad bearing.

Back