• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do the AC controls light up?

They do on mine that is a '99. What year you got?

They're supposed to. You've probably got a blown bulb. I've got them listed (probably #37, #74, #168, or #194) but I haven't coded the chart yet, and I'd have to find the spreadsheet they're listed in. #37/74 (smaller bulb) and #168/194 (a bit larger) are about the most common lamps used in IP illumination.

Plays For Jeeps said:
Thank god its a blown bulb!

Thanks guys!

Sorry, its a 96 SE.

I don't have the 1996FSM or my spreadsheet ready to hand (gotta figure out where I put that damn thing...) However, even your owner's manual - if you still have it - should list what bulbs you want. Most parts houses will also have a catalogue listing bulbs by application - look up your year/make/model, and then you'll want something like "HVAC Control Illumination" or somesuch.

yea, i need to do the same thing for my 89. those dont light up, everything else does just fine tho.

Don't know if you've already determined that the bulb is blown but I had the same issue with my 94 and 96

94 was fixed by the bulb

96 was fixed by smacking the top of the dash...

^lol I thought it might be a combination of bulbs/ connection. Im assuming there is more than one bulb that lights up the AC controls, so the chance of both being dead I though were slim. Oh well, Im upgrading to LED any way :)

Ill have to tear the dash down tomorrow and update this thread.

Thanks guys and gals!

ebxjbob said:
Don't know if you've already determined that the bulb is blown but I had the same issue with my 94 and 96

94 was fixed by the bulb

96 was fixed by smacking the top of the dash...

My 97TJ has that problem, the sliders don't light up so I smacked it, lights came on and about 10 seconds later I smelled hot wires, smacked it again and they went out, left it alone after that till the weather warms up... I don't do that outside cold Sh!t anymore, too many years of my face in the wind on APC's and bradleys and the basic rule that you never throw tracks in good weather on flat ground LOL...

they're ALL supposed to light up

along with the little white icons above all the dash switches (fog, rear wiper, trans power/comfort, and rear defrost)

nobody ever replaces those bulbs and it's so easy to do (unless it's a 95 or 96 you gotta take the damn steering column apart to change 'em, removing the turn signal switch requires a torx t-25 security bit)

Back