• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ wont crank over!

xjfrankie

NAXJA Forum User
I checked my ballist resistor and clean the terminals off it. didnt solve the problem! I can hear the fuel pump when i turn the ignition to the next notch.

It has brand new....

TPS/CPS/Ballist resistor/Battery Cables/Battery and more!

Frankie

xjfrankie said:
Tryed starting it up a sec ago. nothin....

does it have an under dash security key?

Try starting it and pulling the shifter back and forth slightly as you crank the key from park to almost in reverse.

is ti cranking and not starting or not cranking IE: starter doing nothing

I dont know if it has one of those.

starter is couple months old...Its was doing fine last night when i drove it to Pasadena..then when got and parked it.

morning comes by didnt wanna crank the engine. cranks but doesnt go over!

Last edited:
IF your starter isn't responding at all when you are turning the key, try hitting the starter a bit with a hammer. If it starts, you need a new starter. Also you could try taking the shifter and pulling down towards you and then jaming it all the away back up into park (holding the button in) a couple time. It sounds silly but it fixed my problem years ago.

"Tryed starting it up a sec ago. nothin...."

xjfrankie said:
Automatic...sorry .I'm a little tired from last night.

do what we suggested, also try to leave the key on and jump the circuit on the starter with a screwdriver across the small wire terminal and the big one directly below it.

If you've an automatic, it may be the NSS wants cleaning or adjustment. Either way, it could also be the starter motor relay - do you have a voltmeter with crocodile clips? If you have, clip the positive lead to the small post on the starter motor, and clip the negative lead to ground. You should see +12VDC at the terminal when cranking - if you don't, your starter motor relay is shot and wants replacing (I've lost a couple.)

It's OEMR only, but it may also be replaced with a Bosch DIN-style relay for simplicity later.

NSS=neutral safety switch
the relay is prolly on the passenger side of the engine compartment next to (or behind depending if you are standing in front of the xj or next to the fender) the battery

xjfrankie said:
Automatic...whats an NSS? thanks for the info! dont have crocodile clips.
wheres the starter motor relay located?

Frankie
on top of the starter

NSS neutral safety switch

cranks but doesnt go over!

what does this mean?

the starter runs but the engine wont start?

the starter does nothing at all?

what?

@XJfrankie - The NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) is a fan-shaped switch on the passenger side of the transmission. It usually wants cleaning after 12-15 years or so - and it's spendy as Hell to replace (but cheap to clean.) There are writeups galore on it - you can search around here for tips to remove the thing, and then check out places like Jeepin.com or MadXJ.com for a writeup on how to service the thing. Putting the transmission in Neutral is a good way to check - since it's a circuit that isn't used very much (autos are usually set up to start in either Park or Neutral,) it doesn't have a lot of wear on it, and it doesn't collect as much crap. Also, you can try pushing the shifter (without hitting the release button) forward or pulling it back while it's in Park and see if that allows you to crank - same theory.

@rockwerks - If you're cranking but not turning over, your NSS and starter relay are both fine. How old is your crankshaft position sensor (CPS?) If that's shot, it can cause you trouble. Try unplugging it and reconnecting it (should be a connector near the after end of the fuel rail,) as that sometimes "wipes" the contacts clean. If that works, just disassemble the terminal and clean it - if it doesn't, give with your year, and we'll see if we can't come up with a test for you.

5-90 said:
@XJfrankie - The NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) is a fan-shaped switch on the passenger side of the transmission. It usually wants cleaning after 12-15 years or so - and it's spendy as Hell to replace (but cheap to clean.) There are writeups galore on it - you can search around here for tips to remove the thing, and then check out places like Jeepin.com or MadXJ.com for a writeup on how to service the thing. Putting the transmission in Neutral is a good way to check - since it's a circuit that isn't used very much (autos are usually set up to start in either Park or Neutral,) it doesn't have a lot of wear on it, and it doesn't collect as much crap. Also, you can try pushing the shifter (without hitting the release button) forward or pulling it back while it's in Park and see if that allows you to crank - same theory.

@rockwerks - If you're cranking but not turning over, your NSS and starter relay are both fine. How old is your crankshaft position sensor (CPS?) If that's shot, it can cause you trouble. Try unplugging it and reconnecting it (should be a connector near the after end of the fuel rail,) as that sometimes "wipes" the contacts clean. If that works, just disassemble the terminal and clean it - if it doesn't, give with your year, and we'll see if we can't come up with a test for you.

his terminology is vague at best throughout this thread. we need to know if the motor is turning over, or the starter is running but the motor is not turning over, or if its just not wanting to start. Maybe Im old but this is confusing.

His cps is new I believe he said in the thread

yes the start of the thread he said he replaced the cps, and yes he is being ambiguous about the actual symptoms of the starting problem, even after being asked for clearification.

rockwerks said:
his terminology is vague at best throughout this thread. we need to know if the motor is turning over, or the starter is running but the motor is not turning over, or if its just not wanting to start. Maybe Im old but this is confusing.

His cps is new I believe he said in the thread

Duh - silly of me. I'd thought you were having trouble as well...

@XJFRANKIE - REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION:

"No Crank" - Turning the key don't do nothing. It might click, but that's about it.

"Crank, no start" - The starter motor turns, but that's it. Not even a hitch when the engine tries to start, not a pop, nothing. It just spins.

"Tries to start" - Here, you've got the starter motor turning the engine, and it's trying to start. It may cough, sputter, pop, or start and stumble straight away - but it won't stay running.

All three conditions are different and have different causes, which is why it's important that you let us know which you have, and what's happening. It's not the easiest thing in the world to "troubleshoot by remote control" - we really do want to help you, but we need you to help us so we can all move forward...

(Oh - and it would help to know what year you've got, since there were electrical and electronic changes over the years. This means that some components are different - the start relay, for instance is both of different style and in a different place for 1987-1990 and 1991-up. I may have assumed you have an earlier rig - which may have been a mistake on my part...)

Back