• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking in front axle dana 30

obxtuf

NAXJA Forum User
new ball joints, new u joints, I did these myself about a year ago and checked them they are not a possibility of the problem. the faster i go the faster the clicking it does it while braking .turning left or right it does it to .
I belive its some where in the differential has anyone had this happen to them. It has around 175k miles 4.10 gears installed 15k miles ago never a problem Ive also searched forums cannot find any answers:confused:

Lift the front up and spin the tires. See if you pick up the noise or can feel it. Rotate the driveshaft by hand and pay attention for any spots that seem to bind, pop or sort of catch.

with the tire straight I jacked the driver side tire off the ground and spun it it does have the tick sound some where in the diff do you have an idea what this is without having to remove the cover for a couple of days

Pull the front diff fill plug, dip a screwdriver in there and wipe it on a clean white piece of paper to see if it has metal in it. Use a flashlight on it or look at it with a magnifing glass. Heavy metal bad. light metal maybe savable if the problem is in there. You need to be sure of the area of the noise first. Is there any vibration? Check the drive shaft out good also. Dont want to throw parts at it.

I too have a clicking in my front diff since the disco to non disco swap, I have replaced both unit bearings, and pulled the axles removed the diff checked for damage and bearings, re-installed and same, has not gotten any worse and I have about 10,000km since the swap. oh with and without the front driveshaft. I am installing new diff side bearings tonight, I'll post up if I find anything!

I forgot to mention that I have the posi lok axle engaugement system when I engauge the axle an leave the transfercase in 2wheel high the ticking goes away also there isnt any metallic flake in the oil

Does it sound like the rh or lh side of the truck? mines sounds like rf, it used to have the disconnect axle shaft, I replaced both diff side bearings and inspected the ring and pinion teeth. looked great, I'm going to spin it up in 4x4 on the hoist tonight, hopefully pinpoint it.

update I removed the diff cover found that two of the spider gear teeth broke off and three other teeth had fractures this is what was making all the noise hope this helps someone else

Back