• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Traction Aid Poll

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
Say you have a bone stock 4x4 XJ, still sporting regular street tires. Which of these do you think would have the greatest effect on traction when used by itself:
New Tires: Say 30' Mud Terrains; or Rear Locker:eyes: Im going to say the tires, but just wanted to know what you all think.

tires for sure.

tires.

lockers will only complement the tires.

so you need tires for the terrain that you are using them on. slicks with locker won't do you any good offroad. but slicks with locker on the strip will hook up.

offroad tires with locker will hook up offroad.

tires... easy answer.

if you want a simple explanation why, think of driving a 4x4 on ice, if you have no traction it doesn't matter how many tires are turning, your not going anywhere. Ice can be mud, rocks whatever, if you have no traction your not moving.

Tires now, locker when you have the money.

Stumpalump said:
This vid was posted in the OT section explaining lockers. I gotta go with a vote for a locker adding the most traction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

I would say if your tires are bald a locker wont help but in certain situations you would need one like in the video. In normal driving you need good tires.

My avalanche has the G80 locker in it, but on the 20" wheels and 30% street tires I can almost get stuck in my driveway with ice and snow. I guarantee that if I had more aggresive tires I wouldn't even need to put it in 4 wheel drive.

So my vote would be go for good tires first and then add a locker.

Cody

I say...

XJ1 = 30" BFG Mud Terrains NO rear Locker
XJ2 = 29" Michelins's With a REAR LOCKER..

The rear locker will get your a lot more places than the Mud Terrain's will IMO... At least then the Jeep will have 3wd.

Yea at first im like "tires for sure", but then I start to think about it and you start considering the locker. Anyway I just wanted to hear some opinions, but I think im going to get some better tires first. Then dish out for the locker.

it's kinda of twofaced. a locker will ALWAYS give you more traction simply because of the fact that instead of having the tire with least resistance turning, it will cause both tires to turn. so if you have 1 on ice and 1 on dry ground, it will allow you to move on.

BUT if you have a locker and bad tires, then depending on the situation (most likely in offroad situations, or on snowy streets), the locker will give you the power to both wheels, but because the tires don't have anything to "BITE" with, they will just spin. so now instead of 1 wheel spinning and not going anywhere, you'll have 2 wheels spinning and not going anywhere.

now on the other hand

if you have very good tires with very good bite, even with an open differential you'll have more traction because the tires can actually hook up. then at that point, the locker will be a bonus making the tires essentially twice as effective because now you have 2 tires with VERY good traction pushing/pulling the weight of the vehicle.

so technically it works BOTH ways. the locker helps the tires, and the tires help the locker.

i was wheeling with a friend last winter who was in the process of building up his new jeep. he does have experience wheeling, but like us all has to build his jeep in stages because we haven't been doing so good getting the money tree to grow yet. LOL
anyways, we were on a winter run and he had brand new goodyear at/s tires. i had warned him about them, but he figured he'd use them till they were bald and then get better tires. we ended up strapping/winching him up almost EVERY incline because he couldn't get any decent bite in the powerdery snow. at the end of the day he ordered himself a brand new set of super swamper TSL (or one of those. don't remember exactly which ones). and the following weekend we went snow wheeling again. NOW...with the new tires he made 90% of the climbs on that trail where before he couldn't even get 1/2 way up them. the difference in traction JUST WITH TIRES was amazing. then several months later we also added a locker in the rear because he needed a new carrier anyways (blew up axle and build new one). now where before he had to use throttle and heavy wheel spin if he lost traction, he now almost idles up the same obstacles.

i would HIGHLY recommend starting with tires. it will be more of an "instant" improvement depending on what tires you have now. otherwise if you get a locker and your tires aren't up to the job, then you'll end up having to buy tires immidiately. so if you get tires first, that'll give you some time to save up for a locker.

I'm going to ask a simple question that should make the answer easier.

Do you have a Dana 35.

If the answer is yes DO NOT GET THE LOCKER.

Don't drop any coin in this axle.

=]

EDIT:

Another idea would be some cheap retreads and an Aussie locker which would run you the same price as a new set of BFGs or whatever you were thinking about buying.

daumn......thanks lancey3. that could have turned ugly.

i agree big time. if it's a dana 35, then DEFINITELY go with tires and save the money to replace your rear xle with something better like a exact replacement 8.25, XJ D44, or get somebody to mod a ford 8.8 with the proper spring perches.

Yes, I have the D35.... I have learned not to lock these rear-ends. I think when I do get a replacement(D44/8.25), im going to weld the D35 and see just how much it will take before the BOOM! LOL Should be interesting! My luck I will burn up the tranny, blow up the engine, bald the back tires, break the drive-shaft, and get axle wrap before the D35 budges.

it depends how you drive. one of my customers (also local club member) broke the spiders on his D35 at a trail ride. so we got it back to my shop and welded it solid. It was only a temporary fix though until we got his new D44 in. He drove it daily and even went on 1 wheeling trip with it. when we swapped the D44 in, the D35 was still intact. but i've seen to many D35's brake with open diffs to really put my faith into a welded D35 being anywhere remotely reliable.

Decent tires if your stockers are worn out....here is where I split away from the crowd.... Front locker first.

Back