• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering stabilizer with 31's?

jstone8952

NAXJA Forum User
i searched on here and yes ive seen alot of posts like this, but hear me out. i just put 31's on my xj with a fresh 3" lift and for a while it drove fine. about 2 months after i put the tires on i started getting a rhythmic popping and grinding kind of noise on the drivers side front by the tire when i turned. soon after it leaped to the passeger side and they both did it. now its even starting to grind and pop when i slow down at any sort of turn. if my steering wheel is even they slightest bit turned and i apply the breaks i get the same popping and grinding. a budy of mine suggested it was the c or u joints? dont remember which one. another friend suggested i was just in need of a steering stabilizer. ive read on here that the trac bar could have something to do with it, but i dont think that is the case as it is definitely coming from both sides by the tires in respect to which way i turn. i might be heading out today to pick up a stabilizer for the heck of it, but anyone got any suggestions? do i really need a steering stabilizer with 31's?
p.s. its a 89 laredo, 3" coils up front is only thing replaced.
thanx

i don't think that grinding and popping would be your steering stabilizer, my guess would be your U joints.

the guy that suggested the steering stabilizer said the tires were toomuch for the stock steering and that he had the same problem on his wrangler and a steering stabilizer did the trick. even if we replace something else would a new one be a good idea or is the stock one fine?

I'd check trackbar, CA's and sway bar for that problem

I run 35's with no stabilizer, just steering box brace, wj-1ton setup.

I ran 32"s muds with my stock stabilizer with no problems. Your stock stabilizer can handle 31s if it's in good shape. I've never heard of one making those types of noises, on the front end there are lots of possibilities but when it only happens when you are turning my money is with the U-joints, if you have never replaced them before chances are that that may be the problem. I find that i am replacing mine often enough as they are the weakest link. to answer your question, yeah, get a new one. I did just because my stocker was in rough shape and they are relatively inexpensive.

so no stabilizer... ok. well then i should be looking for a trac bar? thing is theres nobody around this area that i can trust to look at it and tell me HONESTLY what wrong without trying to sell me everything in the shop. im not about to go to pep boys...

ok, lol you posted as i posted. so stabilizer back in. u joints a good idea? anyone got a link to a write up on replacing cuz im capale but ignorant. i can do it if im pointed in the right direction but im new to this whole set up.

The larger tires may have put stress on the 20 year old wheel bearings as well. Check for movement with the front end up in the air.

ook how do wheel bearings play into this? arent they just they little circle things in the center behind the rim? am i seing this wrong?

bearings, that's a good point, awhile back i had some grinding noises while i turned only coming from one side and it turned out a bearing was bad. If you have excessive play in your bearing they can start to make noise. Unfortunately for us XJ owners our bearings are unit bearings (sealed units) that are alittle pricey.

hmm... describing this may be a little better- if you can imagine a cog, like in a clock but bigger, slipping and popping when it turns thats the noise im referring to. it soungs just like two cogs struggling to turn and one missing and popping over the other. does that make any sense? sorry, im trying to describe it...

yeah... i'm not sure dude...

If you have a jack, jack each front tire up, grab it at '12 and 6' pull/push on it with some force. Should be no play.

i had the same problem on my 92' last year. It was my axle u-joints. i changed both sides even though it was just the passenger side that was bad. i figured if i changed it at the same time i wouldn't have to do the other side in a few months. i should have checked all of them, i almost threw my driveshaft in the middle of wyoming when i was driving across the country.:doh:

jstone8952 said:
the guy that suggested the steering stabilizer said the tires were toomuch for the stock steering and that he had the same problem on his wrangler and a steering stabilizer did the trick. even if we replace something else would a new one be a good idea or is the stock one fine?

I run 34's with stock style steering and NO stabilizer at all, on an XJ the stabilizer does little but to mask underlying problems

yeh i drove it today with it off for a little bit. i did honestly feel the wheel seemed loose and a bit too eager to turn. i ended up getting one for the heck of it. 19+ years of wear had that thing stuck on there- i ended up drilling the bolt on the trac bar out. what a pita

Axle U joints..... jack up the front end and rotate the tire back and forth a little and look at the U joint while doing this.... it will be odvious.

Back