• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To go along with my doorless mod...

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
To go along with my doorless mod...new speaker location

I made it so I'll still have speakers in the front, and make it look somewhat good. Heres what I did.

First, I took the kick panels off the sides infront of the doors by the driver's and passenger's feet.

Then I Took the speaker I was going to use, and traced the screw hole pattern onto the plastic with a marker. Then I took something that was the size of the largest part of the speaker that went through the plastic peice and traced that on too. Be careful though, there is a support post that is kinda hard to cut through. It might even break the plastic if your forcefull with it.
IMGP1888.jpg

IMGP1887.jpg

You don't have to do this, but I did to make it easyer on myself. I took a soldering iron, and traced the red outline on the plastic so I would have a groove where I cut.
IMGP1889.jpg

Cut out with your favorite thing that makes a circle.... And massage to fit... A jigsaw will work fine. Its what I used.
IMGP1890.jpg

Voila. You have a decent speaker mounting place that allows you to have front speakers when you take your doors off so you can annoy the people driving next to you in the summer.

Heres what mine looks like. The speakers I got were from Shucks Auto Parts, only cause they were on sale for 20 bucks a pair for any size.
IMGP1892-1.jpg

Here you can see the support post I was talking about.
IMGP1893.jpg

Note : The back sides are kinda big, and stick out almost as far as the support posts do. There are TWO wiring harnesses that will have to be moved, but its not a big deal. Theres a clip that goes into the metal, Cut this, Zip tie the harnesses to an out of the way place, and screw the panel back in. I will take pictures of how I did that tomorrow, as well as the installation of the speakers and wiring stuff.

Hope this helps someone out there, I just figured i'd do a write up cause i was bored and had all day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Glad i thought of something usefull.

I'll be workin on the shackle part tomorrow. I Have sort of an idea, but I don't know how well its gonna work. We'll see.

I also gotta clean the inside out, gey rid of all the standing water after I took the carpet and seats out today, So if I get around to that, I'll let you guys know.

When you do the other side, the pin comes in from the bottom of hinge that bolts to the door. You ill have to pound it out, and pound it back in on the top, like the drivers side. Make sure not to cut off the top part on the pass. side.

I actually have no pics or a write up of it. I cut them down with a body saw. Made some cardboard templates, welded on 16ga steel to the open areas on top. Cut a hole in the top so I can fit a 3" exh. tube. Capped off the bottom, set it 1/2" up, and welded it on. Drink holder. Smoothed out all the welds, painted black.

Ill get some pics tomorrow if I remember.

Please post some pictures of the speakers when you get done. Also how much room does that leave you between the magnet and wall of the truck?

[FONT=&quot]Here are mine. They are flimsy but aesthetically pleasing ( to me anyway).

IMG_2018.jpg

To do it over again, I'd leave the upper part of the door (window frames) to make them a little stronger.

[/FONT]

RlCHARD CRANlUM said:
[FONT=&quot]Here are mine. They are flimsy but aesthetically pleasing ( to me anyway).

IMG_2018.jpg

To do it over again, I'd leave the upper part of the door (window frames) to make them a little stronger.

[/FONT]

I like the shape of those. IMO I would add some braces to the inside of them to gain back some strength and add some 1\8" steel door protection where your trim is on the door. Make it bend in over the bodyline like your door trim and your doors will be much more rigid.

Stallacrew said:
Please post some pictures of the speakers when you get done. Also how much room does that leave you between the magnet and wall of the truck?

well I'm heading out to the GEErage to do some work right now, get the radio out and get the other kick panel out. I'll take some pictures of how they look in there.

As for space between the wall and the magnet, I'd say theres probably 1/2 an inch. Not much, but enough to get it to get back in there.

I've done the kick panel speakers a few years back. Sounds great. I don't have detachable doors, and power nothing. So on the doors were the window and door lock elect swiches would go, I put 1" tweaters in as well.

What year Xj do you have? I'm pretty sure theres nothing behind the kick panel on the passenger side. Maybe a wiring harness, but I dont think Jeep would put a fuse panel behind an interior trim panel. Kinda defeats the easy-access porpose.

Back