• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It wants to start but...

dans4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, long time wheeler 1st time JEEP owner.

I recently aquired a 95 Cherokee that will not start. I have read alot about the CPS and I'm not sure if it is the problem. If i hold the gas to the floor it acts like it wants to start but it is flooded. If the CPS is bad will it try to start at all? I pulled the plugs and it is getting spark but the plugs are soaked with gas. It seems flooded to me but I just can't get it to catch enough to start.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
you should never have to pump the gas to get a fuel injected Jeep to start. If you do, you have either a fuel pump or an injector issue.

JMO...

When you hold the gas to the floor it should shut the injectors off and go into a "clear flood" mode. If you are soaking the plugs while holding the accelerator Wide open, The Throttle position sensor may be malfunctioning, but I;ve never seen one not run at all because of a Throttle postion sensor..

Check fuel pressure as well as fuel quality. See if you can get a glass jar of fuel from the fuel rail, that may tell you if you have water in your fuel.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm racking my brains on this one. You might be on to something with the water in the gas. The Jeep had set in a field for the better part of a year. The guy that I got it from said it over heated and died and he couldn't get it to start again... so he parked it. Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.

that's a HUGE clue left out of your first post.

To resurrect this jeep you must drain the gas (all of it) and replace with new.

Run a compression test on all 6 cylinders, check for oil in the Radiator and check for radiator fluid in the oil. Clean dist cap and rotor, check plugs for fouling. an overheat and never running again may be a warped head, blown head gasket, etc.

goodburbon said:
That's nice, what's your tech issue?

I don't mean to be rude, but this is the OEM tech forum. Welcome to Naxja BTW.
From what I've read It is a stock XJ and this is the forum for OEM Cherokees. What are you talking about?

BTW you made a good buy once you get her running she'll be good to you. I own a 92 and a 95 both strong runners the 92 is approaching 270,000

jeepman121 said:
From what I've read It is a stock XJ and this is the forum for OEM Cherokees. What are you talking about?

When I posted that all the original post said was:
dans4x4 said:
Hello, long time wheeler 1st time JEEP owner.

(you'll notice that his post was edited) I

Back