• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? on H4 Bulbs

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 cherokee with a 10ga. harness and headlight conversion kit. My problem is finding the right bulb. I started off with a cheap set of eurolight H4 55L 60H and they were ok nice white light but just not bright enough. The great salesman at the parts store talked me into the PIAA h4 rated at 55l 60h but from what he and the package said the are equal to a 100L and 120H (********) they look tha same as or worse then my cheap Eurolights that cost me only $25. $75 for the PIAA's. Since the I bought another set that was labled 100L 120H (nokya) on the package only to find out on there site they work the same as the PIAA's realy only 55L 60H. Please can someone tell me where I can find a high wattage bright blub that is not blue. I just do notwant to wasteany more money.. :dunno:

Missed it the first time. I understand your frustration, but let's keep it cool, OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com) and order Hella "Super White" bulbs. Clean, white light - and they complement H4 bowls rather well (you don't mention which bowls you have for your conversion.)

Note that there are some good bowls out there, and probably twice as many that suck. If you want good bowls, be ready to spend a little money on the job - Hella Vision Plus or E-code bowls will run you about $40 each, but they're worth the money (I've run both.)

Those ten-dollar eBay "diamond cut" or riceboy bowls? Probably not worth anything as scrap material, much less as a headlamp.

I have the older IPF kit with the clear lens. What wattage are the Hella Super White. I want the higher wattage if can.

cj11 said:
I have the older IPF kit with the clear lens. What wattage are the Hella Super White. I want the higher wattage if can.

Gimme a bit...

With the 1997 and OEM wiring, I wouldn't push it past stock (55/60.) However, you mention having the 10AWG harness - go as far as you like. I run 90/130 Super Whites in Hella E-code bowls without any trouble.

There is another thread running here about the AutoPal e-code lights which can found had from eBay for about $40 for the set. Lots of positive reviews, including mine. I'm running the NAPA house-brand 85/100 H4 bulbs, which were $8 each lasst time I got them. With the e-code buckets, a homemade realy harness, and the brighter bulbs I hae awesome highbeams and never get flashed on low beams.

With Nokya bulbs you have to make sure they are the Stage 2 bulbs or they're regular wattage. I think it's true of multiple brands like PIAA and so on. As of right now I run the IPF lenses and started out with the IPF 55/60w, but just wasn't satisfied like you. I bought BigOffroad's H4 harness and run 100/90w 7500K Nokya Artic White bulbs, which have a little too much blue to them for me, but I'm looking to switch to their 100/70w 5000K Magnum Cosmic White bulbs for a whiter light. Nice thing is i've found them for under $40 a pair. Stick with IPF/Hella/Cibie for the lenses since that has seemed to make the difference for most everyone I talked to before I upgraded.

Have IPF lens and the Fatboy bulbs..also rewired(make sure you have a good ground though) did use silverstar which makes a good backup when something happens.

The Nokya bulbs I had where stage 2 arctic white and they were no brighter then the 55w. I put one in the passanger side and the euro in the other and the euro looks whiter and brighter same goes for the piaa euro is brighter.

crazydave said:
Have IPF lens and the Fatboy bulbs

x2 minus the wiring upgrade.

It was a significant difference over stock, the lows really have good lighting.

I'm waiting patiently for the 5-90 wiring harness upgrade to be released for even more improvement.

waskie said:
x2 minus the wiring upgrade.

It was a significant difference over stock, the lows really have good lighting.

I'm waiting patiently for the 5-90 wiring harness upgrade to be released for even more improvement.

Just build your own. It is really easy...

I just ordered a set of the Osram Hyper Whites from Susquehanna Motor Sports They were real help ful and they said they should be the brightest bulb they have with out the blue color. Hope this is true they shipped them today and said it should only take one day. I will try them and post back on how they are.

These osram 80l/85H Hyper bulbs are the best bulb i bought so far they are bright as hell and have a nice color. (no blue) I would highly recomend these to any one looking for some nice light in front of there Xj. It took a couple of times to get them aimed right but no one is flashing me now and I can see way down the road. With the brights on it looks like day time. I wanted to go E codes but am now affraid They will be to bright.

cj11 said:
These osram 80l/85H Hyper bulbs are the best bulb i bought so far they are bright as hell and have a nice color. (no blue) I would highly recomend these to any one looking for some nice light in front of there Xj. It took a couple of times to get them aimed right but no one is flashing me now and I can see way down the road. With the brights on it looks like day time. I wanted to go E codes but am now affraid They will be to bright.

The advantage of E-code bowls is not so much that your headlamps will be "brighter" per se, but that the low beam will have a sharper "cutoff" at the top of the beam, and that the high beam will be "fuller" - both of which will make better use of the light you have. There is actually an advantage to running E-codes in traffic - since, aimed properly, they're less likely to irritate oncoming drivers.

I've been running 90/130 Hella Super Whites in E-codes for several years with upgraded wiring, and haven't had any trouble. So, I do have some idea what I'm talking about here...

You do have to exercise a little more care in aiming the lamps - since the pattern is just a bit different - but I've covered that here before in detail. One of these days, I'll do a decent writeup with some illustrations and host it on WiP - once I get a few other things settled down and running on their own. Should be about 2015 or so, with the way things keep blowing up around here...

Back