• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature Sending Unit

Mopar Fan

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed the Waterpump, Thermostat, and Serpentine Belt. The thermostat is the factory 195f unit with the check ball and hole in the 12:00 position. The temperature shows 210f and then drops to 150f back forth as I drive. Been about 2 weeks of this. I assume I got air in the system and need to burp it.

What size hex is the Temperature Sending Unit and how is it removed? I tried to get deep wall socket on this Unit and and I can't get the socket to fit the hex since the Unit is right up against the Valve Cover. Do I need to use a Crows Foot Wrench?:confused:

Thanks for your help.
96 4.0

My gage fluctuates like that in my '96, and has been for a long time, I have never had trouble. though I haven't had to replace any of that stuff. Its never been a problem. its got 230k

I don't know what most people do but I take the MAP sensor bracket off and pull the wiring bundle loose and the socket goes right on.

Seems the 96 should normally self burp, even without the hole in the thermostat. Let us know what develops.

Your sis an open system and does not require burping the way the older closed systems do. Make sure you rad it topped off and that the level in the overflow bottle is correct.

You may have a bum Thermo as well.

Back