• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-LO and 1-2

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
'91 4.0/AW4/NP231 D30/8.25 3:55 31x10.5x15

I know this has probably been brought up before but I did search.

I've noticed at a couple local mud bogs I go to that all the guys run 4-LO, and I was nervous to do this because I figured I'd wind out the t-case or something and break something.

Not to mention they all say to run it in 1-2 and it will redline first and then hit second and all is good.

I used 4-HI but naturally made it nowhere, so my concern is whether or not my jeep can take this kind of abuse...although seeing others do it makes me at ease lol.

Thanks

I found a video that shows what happens if you use 4-LO too much, jeep makes all kinds of bad noises, you should avoid using 4-LO whenever possible: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFybwg4wadI

Using 4low will cause your case to generate more heat, thus ruining the fluid quicker.

top speed for the 231 is 45-50mph, after which the chain will start eating the case.

Why not just drive up on a big rock, and laugh at the fullsize trucks getting buried in mud

Last edited:
i do 40 mph in low range with my hubs unlocked to make people think my jeep is fast. just don't race anybody, cant go much faster than 40. and don't punch it. go easy. the shift from 1-2 on pavement is pretty hard and breaks driveshafts.

i also drove from tombstone az to tucson az in low range. stupid shift fork decided to melt

Using 4low will cause your case to generate more heat, thus ruining the fluid quicker.

top speed for the 231 is 45-50mph, after which the chain will start eating the case.

Why not just drive up on a big rock, and laugh at the fullsize trucks getting buried in mud

How do you figure, the gearing is done in the planetary unit and the chain spins the same speed as in any other range.

Other than that I agree with your post. :)

Back