• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pros vs. Cons: Factory Front Tow Hooks/Mounts

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I worked all day long on a set of tow points for my Jeep only to have it all backfire in my face. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how strong the factory stuff is. My jeep doesn't have any thing up front for tow points and I've gotta have some for Club Requirements. I'm still thinking about re-trying the front mount build, but its been a horrible day (speeding ticket started it off.....only gotten worse) and I'm not ready to give up, just wanted some pics of the stock stuff and how strong they are.

Ouch.... $75-150..... I think it may be worth finding some 8"x16"x.250" plates and trying this again. I've heard of them bending the jeep if they are not tied together. Any/much truth to that? This thing is staying small, and in my club will wind up a "strap bi#*h" on occasion. Don't want to hurt my DD if I can help it.

not sure what you mean about "tied together". I've never seen anybody bend the framerails, but the brackets will bend (not the flat section against the framerails, but the small section the hooks are bolted to). I twisted mine yanking a heavy ZJ out of a nice mud pit.

another option is a front-end receiver hitch. might be able to find one used for $50. otherwise, they're a little more $$ than brackets+hooks. but they're stronger and near impossible to bend.

If I repeat the bracket design I built today (making them longer to go under the bumper some) I can use a piece of tube behind the bumper to give me something to hi-lift to as well as connecting both tow hook mounting plates together so you're pulling on both "frame rails" instead of just the one side. I'm going over the design in my head trying to make up my mind how I want it. I've considered the front receiver idea, not that hard to build for what I'm doing and with my front license plate mount the way it is it would be relatively hidden.

Dude, I'll end your troubles and sell you some c4x4 ones. I had them on my 89 XJ for about two months, never had to use them, and then bought a Warn front bumper. I think I can fit them in a Flat Rate USPS box, so if you want them, I'll sell them to you for 45 plus the shipping. They are stout and in near new condition. PM me if interested.
Adam

albush1 said:
Dude, I'll end your troubles and sell you some c4x4 ones. I had them on my 89 XJ for about two months, never had to use them, and then bought a Warn front bumper. I think I can fit them in a Flat Rate USPS box, so if you want them, I'll sell them to you for 45 plus the shipping. They are stout and in near new condition. PM me if interested.
Adam

can you shoot me a pm with pics and shipping quote to 24141?

I know that the factory brackets have 3 pieces per side when properly installed. There is a angle bracket that ties in the front cross member, a cross brace that mates the frame rail to the tow hooks and of course the tow hook/bumperbrackets themselves. When its all put together correctly its a solid recovery point for a factory set-up.

Last edited:
I have a pic of the tow hook brackets with hardware. I can't figure out how to upload a pic on the forum- anyone know? Otherwise, please give me your e-mail address. I can get them in the mail after the holiday on Tuesday and you should have them by Friday via USPS priority mail. The silver color is anti-sieze compound that can be cleaned off easily with brake parts cleaner and would make them look almost new. I can sell them to you for 53.00 shipped.

You can go with tow hooks and brackets but if you can squeeze a bit more money out I'd look at www.jcroffroad.com and their front bumpers with the mounting kit, solves tow point problem, better resistance to hitting stuff and looks sharper...

I made a little doohickey to tie the two sides together; it just goes between the hooks and their mounts. It's just 3/16" strap with angle iron stitch welded to it. No real pics of it, but here's the idea.
towhookbar.jpg

Back