• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency Flasher Switch Location?

4x4fish

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know this sounds wierd but I swear I dont have an emergency flasher switch. I've checked all over the steering column but I cant find it. Just something thats been buging me. Thanks, 4x4fish 1994 XJ 4L I6 Auto 4x4 Sport power windows and locks.:peace:

The 1994 used, I believe, the GM column with Chrysler keys. Start at or near the key lock, and track downwards toward the bottom of the column (not down toward the dashboard.) You should find it just before you hit bottom centre of the column casing.

I doubt it was the Chrysler column - I think those went in in 1996. However, the Chrysler column had the hazzard switch on top (as I recall) and it should be readily visible as a press button.

95's got the Chrysler columns with the airbag. Chrysler flasher switch was atop the column.

The GM column (up to 94) without the airbag bas the switch below the lock cylinder.

Blaine B. said:
95's got the Chrysler columns with the airbag. Chrysler flasher switch was atop the column.

The GM column (up to 94) without the airbag bas the switch below the lock cylinder.

Ah - thank you. I was wondering if I'd gotten that cutoff in the wrong place...

Now - to just disable/remove the airbags and have done with it. "Safety lies betwixt the ears;" and the sooner people have that hammered home, the better. We keep making cars "safer" - but we aren't doing anything at all about the drivers. Putting the cart before the horse, methinks...

Actually having an airbag worries me. With the earlier system it seems like less impact is required to set one off.

So everytime I bump hard on the trails.....I'm just waiting for it to pop out!

Blaine B. said:
Actually having an airbag worries me. With the earlier system it seems like less impact is required to set one off.

So everytime I bump hard on the trails.....I'm just waiting for it to pop out!

Meh. After their release, the first-generation airbags were found to be only effective with a fairly narrow range of body sizes, as I recall. I'm wanting to think it was in the range of 5'4"-5'10" and 120-200#, but don't hold me to it.

I'm 6'3" and 255#, my wife is 5'2" (and I'll be damned if I'm going to mention how much she masses. I like to sleep indoors once in a while...) Both of us were outside that range.

I think the "second-generation" airbags have expanded that range somewhat - she's probably included now, but I'm not sure I am.

I don't even know where the airbag sensors are in my 95. They aren't behind the bumper or the crossmember.....not underneath the center console, or beneath the seats.

Where are they?

Blaine B. said:
I don't even know where the airbag sensors are in my 95. They aren't behind the bumper or the crossmember.....not underneath the center console, or beneath the seats.

Where are they?

'95 and '96 (i believe) had self contained airbags. the entire system is in the steering wheel. in '97 (along with all the other changes) the airbag got its own computer under the drivers seat.

Back