• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different axle ratios?

Red October

NAXJA Forum User
Couldnt find this by searching so ill just ask, I picked up an exploder 8.8 yesterday to go under my 99xj and wondering if i can run this 3.73 with my 3.55 front untill i can get my gears? Shouldnt take long and I wont be putting it in 4x anytime soon as i need to rebuild my front suspension completely... also this is a DD rig

If you accidentally put it in 4wheeldrive you will NOT be happy. You will likely be rebuilding both axles and probably the transfer case. If you can remember not to do that, then there is nothing wrong with running the different ratio in the front in neutral until you get the gears switched out. Your front driveshaft will just be spinning at a different rate than your rear which only becomes an issue when the transfer case tries to drive them both at different rates...

Cheers,

Heard a mud guy in a full size say that its good to run say a 4.11 in the front and 4.10 in the rear so the front will spin faster pulling you forward more than the rear is pushing. This goes against everything i know but would it work?

remove the front driveshaft... then you won't forget!

94XJ2door5speed said:
Heard a mud guy in a full size say that its good to run say a 4.11 in the front and 4.10 in the rear so the front will spin faster pulling you forward more than the rear is pushing. This goes against everything i know but would it work?

Yes, you will be fine.

The general rule of thumb is that you can run a 2% difference in gear ratio front and rear. IE: You can run 5.38's in your D44 and 5.43's in your 9", and be ok.

Back