• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for the non carpet guys...

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to pull my carpet. I've heard horror stories about how everyone has a really hot trans tunnel. I don't care much about the noise, but I'd like to save my boots and pants. Its coming out because 2 weks after a snow run and mud stuck, the carpet on the drivers side floorpan STILL ISN'T DRY!

So here come the questions.....
What trans are you running?
Will it still get really hot with my 2.5L and ax-5 instead of a 4.0L and aw4/ax-15?
How hard is the carpet to get out?
Is it really worth doing?

Thanks a bunch, Guys.

I had pulled the carpet and herculined my 97 TJ w4.0/AX-15. The problem not from the tranny but from the exhuast were it passes by the tranny under the front pass floor. Its not a huge issue with my husky mats but the bare non-skid does get hot with flip flops. I just try not to put my drinks or snacks there. So I'm overall happy with it and no regrets. BUT, I was thinking of pull my XJ carpet but now I'm thinking twice if guys are have problems with heat from an auto as I have the 4.0/AW4.

I got a 2 friends one with a YJ and the other an XJ, they both tore out the carpet and the rest of the interior and spray on bed linered the entire tub. Then they put all the interior back in save the carpet. They have no heat issues or sound problems and there both DD's. It cost them $30 for the gun and $35 for a gallon of the liner and a gallon did both of the jeeps.

Well the thing about the AW4, you sometimes have a tranny cooler, But I've never seen a manual trans with a tranny cooler, So that makes me think that they wouldn't get as hot. Someone could confirm that for me, as I'm just talking out my arse about that. Just a suspision.

I took mine out and run it with no liner or carpet, gets warm in the summer, and its the only heating system I have in the winter.

Most of the drain holes in my 91 are at the low end of some recessed channels where water wants to collect. There are a couple that are in bad areas, but they also have rust so water got to them somehow.

As to the OP, I notice a fair bit of heat coming off the floorboard where the exhaust goes under the passenger seat, otherwise not much heat.

Back