• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high mileage auto transmission flush

massscene

NAXJA Forum User
I have been working in the car repair business for 5 years now and have personally dealt with vehicles that drive in the shop and have to be pushed out. It has happened on some older vehicles with high mileage. We attempt a BG Automatic transmission flush. After the flush the car no longer drives and needs a transmission. It seems that the gunk in the transmission was actually holding it together and once removed the clutches inside loose there friction. I have never had this happen to a jeep transmission.

So my question is- Has any one with a 100k+ cherokee with aw4 ever performed a transmission flush (not just a drain and fill) . My xj has 149k and I would like to keep it running driving and shifting good with proper maintenance but not at the cost of destroying my transmission in the process.

Yes, I've done a flush on mine....2000XJ w/ 140k+ on the ticker....

its kind of hypocritical - you want to do a flush, which is MEANT to only do good to your tranny - yet, you dont want it to "destroy" your transmission - if you do a flush, and your tranny gets jacked up, that means it was just jacked up to begin with

personally, i'd feel better about having a new/rebuilt tranny rather than one held together by sludgy fluid...

its along the same lines as saying "dont switch to synthetic if you have high miles, because it will make your engine leak"

fix the REAL problem and dont blame the fluid....

LOL I agree completlely. However a tranny held together with grime is better than doing the flush and not being able to drive untill I save for a tranny rebuild now isnt it?

Good point - if thats your concern, i'd either get a JY tranny so you have a spare, just in case, or...hold off on the flush til you save up.

how's your fluid look/smell now? bright red? or brown and smelling burnt?

Just do a slow flush. Drain the pan and refill with 4 quarts of fresh Dexron III/Mercon fluid. Drive for a week and repeat. Drive another week, repeat. One week later, drop the pan and install a fresh filter, refill with 4 quarts.

Last edited:
I am having similiar trouble deciding on a flush. My jeep has 213K miles, the fluid look really good and smells fine(factory cooler). My jeep was a fleet vehicle until it had 185K miles, it has tons and tons of maintence history on CarFax. Its really due for a flush but the mileage still scares me.

BlueCuda said:
Its really due for a flush but the mileage still scares me.

AMEN BROTHA

Im thinking of shopping around for a reman transmission. That way I have a better chance of it breaking at an in-oportune time.

My tranny acts a little funny sometimes anyways so I think flushing it will probably put it over the edge, or it could fix it. ahhhhh I dunno:hang:

I just completed a slow flush on a 97 Xj with 175,232 miles. No problems, and now it shifts as crisply as my 2000 with 89,148 miles.

JY = junk yard

Tim_MN said:
Just do a slow flush. Drain the pan and refill with 4 quarts of fresh Dexron III/Mercon fluid. Drive for a week and repeat. Drive another week, repeat. One week later, drop the pan and install a fresh filter, refill with 4 quarts.

X2

My transmission seems fine for the most part. The only gripe I have is a heavy 1-2 shift. It was the same way on my last xj too with 175k. Is that how they all are? You think the fluid flush will take care of it?

massscene said:
My transmission seems fine for the most part. The only gripe I have is a heavy 1-2 shift. It was the same way on my last xj too with 175k. Is that how they all are? You think the fluid flush will take care of it?
I talked to a local tranny shop about that problem on mine. He said the AW4 uses rubber ball valves and after a lot of miles the rubber gets worn down until the ball gets sucked into the valve then eaten up. Supposed to be a pretty simple repair but I haven't done it yet.

Another problem that develops is the seals get loose. Mine doesn't want to move after cold start and I have to wait for pressure to build up before I get any grip, but once it's warm it runs fine.

He also said that you do not need to rebuild or replace the tranny until it stops working (ie it won't go into reverse anymore, or you lose 3rd, etc). Otherwise just repair it.

BTW I have 334k miles on mine. I just did the simple two-stage flush last month with Dex VI and it seems to have gone fine. I am going to have the filter changed when I have the above repair made.

So niether the rubber ball valves or the seals you speak of need to have the transmission pulled to repair??? Where can I get info on these repairs?

i had over 300.000 miles on my 98 when i had it flushed i noticed no differance i was hoping it would make my od work it didnt so i ended up with a reman unit did alot of highway driving and i couldnt hack not having overdrive or should i say the converter wouldnt lock up good luck

i really dont want to admit it on here but it was 2500.00 installed with a 30k warranty unfortunetly i had to pay to have it fixed that stuff is way out of my league

Back