• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headers.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
my 90 xj has this wonderful exaust leak. In fact. its even louder then my flowmasters. :party:
my question.........does any company make a set of headers for my year?...everything i see is 91 and up. just wondering.

Also, im trying to get the most out of this thread. does anybody use smittybuilt bumpers?? A buddy and i are purchasing a old xj for $200 all i want are the bumpers. just wondering if anyone else has them, and if so pics would be nice.

Dont worry about a header for your RENIX. The head is poor flowing to begin with, if you get a header your wasting your money because you cant take advantage of it. I would say MAYBE get one if you have head work done, but if not dont do it. Just get an OEM replacement exhaust manifold from like ebay. To actually answer your question, yes there are a few companies that offer headers for the RENIX.

I disagree. The poor design and materials of the stock headers will result in crack after crack after crack. I bought a set of Borla headers for my '88. You will need to call them though, as this is a discontinued item ('90 and older). If they still have them, they are blowing them out really cheap! I can;t remember exactly how much I paid but it was much less than the '91 and newer headers.

Good luck!

also, check your motor mounts - bad motor mounts will lead to cracked headers/exhaust manifolds, no matter how nice they are! :)

You can go to just about any 4x4 website and search bumpers, smittybilt will generally show up. My 91 XJ Sport has 173,000 miles now and the engine purrs like it never left the show room floor. Not sure if the header was done after the showroom or if it was part of the sport package. I also use bosch platinum plugs

Whatever you end up doing.....read JNickel's post....three times.

:cheers:

well its 4:30 am, just got home from work. ahh...jnickel. thank you. i read it three times.lol im not planning on getting anyhead work done, but i have to replace my intake gasket, and im tired of not being able to hear my flows. so i figure its time to get a new exaust manifold, but i want to invest into some headers as well, even if i wont have too much gain. also, this summer motor mounts, and pretty much every bushing throughout the suspension is getting replaced.

87dana44xj said:
just get stock replacement for 91+ and get head pipe replaced at muffler shop

Dont do this. The Header / exhaust manifold for the 91-96 are different and wont bolt on correctly.

As i said if you have not done head work you are still waisting your money if you buy a header.

If your looking for performance, then swap everything from the head up off of a 91-96. THEN you will see a HUGE gain in performance, and you will use the easy to find headers for the 91+'s that you have been seeing. Besides finding the parts, the only trouble you may have doing the swap is attaching the RENIX TPS (Since you will need to use all of your RENIX sensors) to the HO Throttle Body. There are adapters available.

All Headers / Exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. Its just a poor design period. Not just us RENIX guys complain of this problem and replace them. I know when i did mine, my motor mount was shot! Im sure that does play a huge role. Lots of people replace them, and then they crack again within 6 months.

I hope this information helps you decide better. Just trying to save you $$$ that you know you could use!

Any recommendation for a good (50-state emissions legal) after market header for a 1999 XJ? Price is not really a concern if it will last a long time. Or should I replace it with OEM type exhaust manifold?

Summit sells a Pacesetter Header fo your Jeep, It's kind of a pain in the ass to install, you'll have to make some mods to the airtube and sensors. It doesn't sound to bad. But it is a cheep Header. Also change Your Mounts while you are at it, you'll be glad you did.

Back