• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 not working

bluedevils278

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my tcase fluid today because it was black and not very viscous. There are several things going wrong here. My speedo gear is stripped, so I have no speedometer, the tcase gear selector is stuck in 4H or 4L I can't even tell, it's driving in 2wd, and the rear seal is gone and spraying atf all over the rear driveshaft causing my fluid level to be low. Any advice would be great. Should I start with changing the seal or just buy a tcase?

97 I6
np 231
aw4

When you say fluid was black, I'm assuming you mean a dark grey. This is from wear, you pull the back halve off. You will prolly find the drive chain worn out like a mofo. Ask me how I know.

I was just speaking from my own experience. but yeah , you need to pull the back halve & check it out. Could mean the difference of it going another 100 miles or going another 100,000 miles. post up what ya find & we'll tell ya what to replace. Anything that can possibly go wrong with a XJ has happened to someone on here.

Make you name red and you might get even more answers.

Its only a few bolts to pull the whole case and work on it on a bench..
Two for the back drive shaft, four for the cross member, four for the tranny mount, two more to pull off the rubber mount then 6 to pull off the rest of the case.

I have a spare np231 if your interested. Shipping from upstate ny may be expensive though.

Pay to be a member, instead of a user, trust me it's worth the $. No, you can pull the back half with it in the vehicle. use the seach at the top of the screen, alot of info there.

Back