• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater switch

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
Well my XJ is just a wheeling rig, and haven't done much lately. This Dec I got new tires so I took it out to change em and noticed the heater wasn't working. No sound at all, and it worked before. Well today I finally took the dash apart, assuming probably the switch went bad. Here's what I found on the switch plug - on the wiring side:

100_1952.jpg

100_1953.jpg

Besides the junk yard, would there be any other place that would have this plug. Probably won't get to a salvage yard for awhile - last time they only had one XJ there anyways. Tried Advanced Auto and no luck.....

The same thing happend to my xj when i bought it the heater dident work'

i ripped the dash out and found the same thing.

i had to replace the whole in dash unit it was fried in the back the only place i found it at a resanble price was ebay. and the yard wanted twice as much as i paid'.

just look on ebay or your yard its hard to find that stuff unless you want to pay a dealer bookoo bucks....

hope that helps.

You may be able to find them individually at some auto parts stores. It will do the same thing but they are single terminal black plastic female ends. Looks like you need 4 or 5 of them. They come with about 6 inch of wire and you splice them in. Its best to make your splices with solder and heat shrink tube. If you use an old switch, clean the terminals well and use a little electrical grease on them. Any corrosion causes resistance. Resistance causes heat and even more resistance. Melt down. Tight clean connections. Any wire splices will hold up well if you slide the heat shrink on, solder the wires together, lightly grease the soldered area, slide the heat shrink over the joint and heat. Heat guns work well but you can use a lighter or mini torch.

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0E00205F872302009E37021+M37+ENG

Like this one with blue wires. You just need the female half.
http://order.waytekwire.com/IMAGES/M37/catalog/220_036.PDF

If you want to fix it right, you'll have to use relays to handle the load. It'll melt again, even if you get a replacement. A good fix is to use relays to handle the load so it doesn't all go through the switch.

i have heard the story about a relay before the switch also im a stupid guy when it comes to wiring can you make a crude diagram of how to do that and is there anyway to test to see if it is the switch...or do i just need to buy a new one and try it ...then move on to the next thing.

Funny thing, last week my switch went out....nearly started a fire too (started to smoke)

So I pulled a few switches from the junkyard, filled them with dialectic grease, cut off the damn melted plug, and crimped on some female terminals.

Switch works and no more burning smell coming from the melted plug.

No I didn't use relays but this setup seems to be holding up!

i just ordered one off ebay. the guy said he has a few more if you guys are interested i had to order the whole control box but all ill take is the switch off it...i know how to take it appart unfortunatly

I looked ALL over for a rotary type 4 position switch. Could not find one anywhere!

I was looking to perhaps upgrade the older style to the newer style fan speed switch....

I wasn't worried if it didn't look origional or "perfect" I just wanted functionality.

But after a day and a half of searching I got tired of being cold and just went to the junkyard and got a few switches. And some hatch struts :)

Been there. I have replaced a couple of those plugs just to have them do it again until I found the solution. the slide switch that supplies pwr to that plug(pwr to the fan switch it is what turns it on and off) , take it apart and sand it. I have done this to three xjs now and it is a cure. All of the ones that I had the problem with, had carbon tracking on the contacts. I had to sand them with sandpaper and then covered with dialectic greas. I believe that is what causes the resistance and melts the plug. the jeeps i fixed were melting the plug once a year until I did that fix and since I cleaned the swith it has been 2 yrs for all of them. thanks seth

Blaine B. said:
What slide switch? Are you talking about the one that you slide back and forth to select heat, defrost, bilevel, etc?

Yes, it is a multifunction switch that is used to supply the power to the fan switch. It unbolts from the assembly and there is a connection that slides out of the vacum switch, once out it snaps together. I did have one that had arced through the slide contact on the inside and had to be replaced. I was able to clean the other 3 without any problem.

Blaine B. said:
Only rotary switch I found at RS was a tiny ass one. Like 1.2 amps at 120 volts.

Sad.

Yeah, you'd probably need to use relays. I think a rotary switch that could handle 15 amps would be took big.

Back