• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need NP231 Mainshaft info ASAP W/pic

pma4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a used 231 with a M.I.T. SYE Kit in it. I pulled my 231 and found out the input shafts are different. I also found out the input shaft bearing surfaces are different as well. I called Novak Adapters along with MIT direct and both said to basicly just swap out the SYE shaft.

So i pulled both and come to find out the 231 i bought has what looks to be a shift cam (sector) of a 242. The pic below shows the two mainshafts. The one on the left is the MIT SYE. The one on the right is my OEM shaft out of my 1996 231 XJ.

Notice on the left shaft there is a goldish ring? My manual calls it a "stop ring"? Also the 3 cross slots cut into the left shaft? does this comfirm it is a 242

The MIT SYE shaft with gears and all slips right into my 231 assembly. I also micrometered the shafts, splines, bearing surfaces the works. it all measures out. Any ideas?

Year of purchased 231 is unknown

http://home.mchsi.com/~roughneck556/TEMP/shaft.jpg
shaft.jpg

The one on the left has a syncro. The gold ring looks like a syncro. I haven't seen one like that. I have seen them with the slots and without the slots. A 242 has a limited slip type planetary on the main shaft. I don't think its a 242. I don't think you can get a sye for a 242??????? Maybe its out of a chevy or Dodge????? I working on a couple now and some have the slots in the range gear also, some don't. I need to mock mine up and see how the slotted gear would work on the slotted shaft. It seems to catch a little as I move it, but I'm not sure if it is lining the slots up when its in the spot it runs in while assembled. Hope I said that right. I don't see why they would need a syncro, the front and rear shafts are spinning at the same speed. The front drive shaft is spinning the chain and gears at the same speed as the rear output shaft so the mode collar just moves back and engages the teeth on the chain gear and its then in 4 wheel drive. It may help engage 4 wheel drive more smoothly if the rear tires are already spinning, but it sure would be a load on the syncro. It seems like it would still grind.

It may help engage 4 wheel drive more smoothly if the rear tires are already spinning

yes. that's what it's for.

Back