• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sorry was asked to list. I know I am YJ scum not XJ

copper204

NAXJA Forum User
I know I am talking about a YJ. But come on guys and gals. This jeep is now more XJ than YJ..lol.. Was asked by a few memebrs to join and offer up my info.

Well I finally found sometime over the holidays to wrap this up. It was a blast. It sits there with a set of bomb proof engine mounts. The transfer case has been clocked. The 4.0 Litre has been stroked to a 4.7 Litre. I have not yet installed a SYE. I did install a 8.8 Ford rear end. Geared this baby to 4.10. Detroit Locker in rear. all my friends that have looked at it say it looks factory. I installed a 1995 Grand Cherokee center console. This also looks stock and is color matched/ New enterior. I installed a second set of temp, amp and oil pressure gauges. I was even able to use the aftermarket Cherokee K&N filter system. If anyone wants pictures, I will be posting them soon. Playing around I did find something funny. The YJ can do a four wheel burn out. My wife came outside and said some not so nice words tho'. My daughters sure loved it. Kinda makes my other YJ seem anemic even tho' I just installed a Howell fuel injection in that one over Christmas. Been a busy and productive few weeks. I was able to send the tail shaft section of the AW-4 to John Nutter. Checkout his website http://www.jnutter.com/ He reclocked it and I used the stock skid pan with four new mounting holes. I have to say it reallllllllllllly looks stock. Cannot wait to get tires and rims for it next. My oldest daughter is already trying to lay claim to driving rights to it? .....NOT..I was even able to modify the XJ transfer case ****er to work on it. I will be installing a True Track Limited Slip in front end in near future. I would definately recommend this swap. It was actually not that difficult. It was a lot better with the pro-fab bomb proof style 1 inch lifted engine mounts. I still have few small minor things to wrap up. But from looking on the forum and bugging people, I was able to get it done. PHATYJ was definate problem solver, with his wiring schematic on a different forum. I also had tons of encouragement from fellow jeepers on all groups. Hal

See how the XJ console just seems to belong there? :wave1:

Console.jpg

Welcome to NAXJA with your YXJ :D. The XJ console looks right at home in the YJ. Good work so far. I will say I have a leather wrapped steering wheel that would really make the interior look even more XJ-ish.

90PioSport99 said:
Welcome to NAXJA with your YXJ :D. The XJ console looks right at home in the YJ. Good work so far. I will say I have a leather wrapped steering wheel that would really make the interior look even more XJ-ish.
I have one in grey that would match....

that YJ looks good. how about a shot underneath to see what you did under there.
to make it more XJ, you need to do coils up front!

I would be real interested in some pictures of the whole thing. Sounds real cool, especially if you do the coils!

Funny this came up; my buddies and I are in the middle of swapping an AMC 360/TF727/NP208 into our 90% trail '89 YJ. It was originally an auto and we've found the V8 exhaust manifold is dead in the middle of where the shifter linkage went back to the tranny so we said "Hey let's yank one out of an XJ and put it on the floor" and the next day this came up. We then decided we would swap the whole console like you.

So, if you had any detailed pics of how you went about the console swap or any words of wisdom, that would be great. THANKS

copper204 said:
I know I am talking about a YJ. But come on guys and gals. This jeep is now more XJ than YJ..lol.. Was asked by a few memebrs to join and offer up my info...

Welcome to NAXJA.. I don't think people around here would think of YJ'ers being scum.. In fact, alot us either have another Jeep or have had other Jeeps like a YJ..

I'll have to show my dad and brother your center console... They have a YJ & a TJ..

Like xjh3 said, instuctions would be cool....

E

What's crazy is how much power his rig has. I rode in it yesterady and it flat gets it! It makes me wonder just how much the wiring has to do with all of this. I say this becuase he removed most of the wiring to put this engine into his. His Jeep has way more power than my XJ. Alright Hal, time to fix mine!!!

kj139 said:
What's crazy is how much power his rig has. I rode in it yesterady and it flat gets it! It makes me wonder just how much the wiring has to do with all of this. I say this becuase he removed most of the wiring to put this engine into his. His Jeep has way more power than my XJ. Alright Hal, time to fix mine!!!

I don't know what your rig has but his has a 4.7 stroker and 4.10 gears...

Back