• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Window wont go down

djt81185

NAXJA Forum User
My power window on my drivers side is goofy. At first if it went down too far it would grind and not go up unless you pulled it up. I found the cable guide detached and rehooked it up and it started working again. (atleast i think that is the problem it fixed...might have been my not going down the whole way unless pushed issue)

Now the window will go down about 3 inches then stop. When it stops its rock solid and wont budge at all. Itll move up adn down freely in that 3 inch range.

I search and found no one else had a thread about this...can u guys help?

djt81185 said:
My power window on my drivers side is goofy. At first if it went down too far it would grind and not go up unless you pulled it up. I found the cable guide detached and rehooked it up and it started working again. (atleast i think that is the problem it fixed...might have been my not going down the whole way unless pushed issue)

Now the window will go down about 3 inches then stop. When it stops its rock solid and wont budge at all. Itll move up adn down freely in that 3 inch range.

I search and found no one else had a thread about this...can u guys help?
There is a rubber extension on the motor end of the cable guide, if it isn't routed correctly the cable may jam. Might also be the window guide came out of the metal channel and is binding.
While you have the door panel off, force some grease into the slot in the metal cable guide.

:eeks1: well be glad yours works for those 3 inches. i got my window up & now it wont work at all. think i need to hit a yard soon! (but damn workin in the cold!!!!!) not sure if its the wires or the motor thats shot on my 89 xj limited.

my girlfriend's 88 has a very similar problem. passenger side window operates freely except for the last 5-6inches at the bottom.

like you said, it is a rock solid stop, no budge, no motor buzzing or humming, no nothing.

it has been like that for over a year. i have not gotten around to pulling the panel off and tinkering.

8Mud said:
There is a rubber extension on the motor end of the cable guide, if it isn't routed correctly the cable may jam. Might also be the window guide came out of the metal channel and is binding.
While you have the door panel off, force some grease into the slot in the metal cable guide.

I did have to reguide that rubber extension a while ago. The window also rocks back and forth very freely. I did notice a nut missing in there once...tried to replce it but it did nothing.

i dont know if it is an option for you but i would just get rid of the power windows and get some manual cranks junk yard bro junk yard:idea:

djt81185 said:
I did have to reguide that rubber extension a while ago. The window also rocks back and forth very freely. I did notice a nut missing in there once...tried to replce it but it did nothing.
There is a hold down ring that snaps into a hole in the door, if the hold down isn't on there, the rubber extension can shift and cause binding. If the cable is rusty (almost rusted through) this can even kink the cable.
Sometimes the window guides (rubber and felt) split down the middle and jam the window. The glue also comes off and they fall out of the channel and jam things up.

Well I got pissed at it yesterday and started pushing down as hard as i could while rolling it down and it went down another 6 inches..I repeated and got it down another bit to where only 2 inches is sticking out...To put it back up I have to pull it past these 2 sticking points and to put it down I have to push em past the 2 sticking points...any ideas now?

Back