• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+snorkle

Blaine B. said:
Can you get a stock washer bottle from a 96 or something and mount it on the passenger side of the firewall and re route the wiring and hoses?

might work??? anyone know for sure?

i think of snorkles this way: yeah people will say "you'll never use that, its just for looks...." until that one time you misguage a creek, or mudhole, and it saves your ass.... 350 ish for snorkel or hydrolocked engine in middle of gosh darn nowhere... its an easy decision for me. i'm in the OH as well, so things can get sloppy.

Search! this has been coverd rather colorfully i might add.

I have the Airflow snorkel sold by DPG..

http://dpgoffroad.com/airflowsnorkels.htm

Easy install and no need to move the washer bottle.

Also better price IMO.

Perfomance wise, i get 1 mpg higher and also get better throttle.

BUT i have banks header and intake manifold off of a 99 [my XJ is a 97] so the increase in air flow actually helped the rest of the system. I also used a K&N drop in filter but recently upgraded to an K&N Apollo filter as used here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905258

Although the snorkel is considered by many to be "POSER", just from my driving experience could tell it helped my headers get the air it needed. Also the fact that i can more comfortably pass water and mud.

I would also consider it a worthwhile thing to do.
I had one buddy with a YJ with a 4" rc lift and 33''s, flood his engine then try to restart it and throw a rod and have to rebuild the whole thing. He did this all at a spot that we go to all the time.
I had another buddy in a XJ with a 4" lift and 33''s flood his engine also and he just had to change the oil a couple of times but it still idles kind of funny...but flooding his engine did leave his jeep with out a way to get home on its own.

Chris

i spent 3hours in the cold and dark drying my buddies out (dont stand by the passenger side tire when plugs are out and turning it over) it was a cold wet long night and i was hungery! BOO!!!

Go with the airflow, its less money and is a better install. I have one and will be at the ts meeting on 2/7/08 with mine if you want a closer look at it

What I don't understand, and maybe my logic is wrong, is that let's say I go through a mud puddle or something that's deeper with water than I thought and it completely covers my hood....seems to me that the stock air box used with the snorkel would still get water in it and suck it in the engine...is this not the case? Is it perfectly sealed as to not get water in the stock airbox when used in conjunction with a snorkle?

keep0njeepin0n said:
What I don't understand, and maybe my logic is wrong, is that let's say I go through a mud puddle or something that's deeper with water than I thought and it completely covers my hood....seems to me that the stock air box used with the snorkel would still get water in it and suck it in the engine...is this not the case? Is it perfectly sealed as to not get water in the stock airbox when used in conjunction with a snorkle?

You block the factory intake hole in the airbox during install.. I used some plexi i had around and contruction glue.. the hose comes in the back of the airbox right below the factory hose in the top half...

aroncull said:
You block the factory intake hole in the airbox during install.. I used some plexi i had around and contruction glue.. the hose comes in the back of the airbox right below the factory hose in the top half...

That part I understand...but I'm talking more about like where the filter goes...I don't recall seeing a rubber seal or anything in there to keep water out if submerged...just the clips that hold it tight...is my thinking as messed up as a football bat or am I missing something?

keep0njeepin0n said:
The stock airbox is sealed so no water can enter through the hole in the front. With the airbox sealed, yes you can have water over your hood and still be okay.

As for the washer bottle for 97+, here's what I did and think is the best option if you are using a Safari Snorkel:

snorkel01.jpg

This is a stock washer bottle from an older XJ (87 - 91?). My 2000 had the mounting holes already drilled in the side of the engine compartment for this older style washer bottle. One of the reasons the stock one was relocated to inside the fender was because they switched to a larger brake booster and this interferes with the older style bottle. It is only a slight interferance however and the fix is to bend in the corner of the plastic bottle that hits the booster. If the plastic bottle rips, like mine did a little, you can seal it with some silicone. If I recall, the washer motors were slightly different as well. The older style are mounted inside the bottle, while the 97+ are mounted from the outside of the washer bottle. The 97+ motors can be used in this older style bottle but one of the holes will need to be bored out slightly. You will still mount the 97+ motors from the outside of the bottle. A small dremel tool works nice to bore the hole but don't make the hole too big or the washer fluid will leak.

Last edited:
polar_jeep_04 said:
what did you do with your washer bottle? :dunno: i live in ohio so i need it (wet nasty muddy trails) where did you guy put yours? any pics?

The Safari kit for the 97-up includes a replacement bottle.

No booty-fab required...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
The Safari kit for the 97-up includes a replacement bottle.

No booty-fab required...

Robert
But it costs you over $100 more. The snorkel body is exactly the same as the 95 and older version so for most people it pays to save the money and find your own washer bottle. Besides, even if you get the ARB bottle, you still need to "booty-fab" mount it somewhere...

EricsXJ said:
But it costs you over $100 more. The snorkel body is exactly the same as the 95 and older version so for most people it pays to save the money and find your own washer bottle. Besides, even if you get the ARB bottle, you still need to "booty-fab" mount it somewhere...

Yeah, but the "cheap" one is now up to $400. So I figured if you can drop four bills on a plastic tube, you can drop five for one that fits...

Robert

Back