• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guages no worky, I'm lost.

Xj'sR'Creamy

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ 4.0L AW4 NP231

Okay, well the guages were intermittent for a while but for the most part they were fine and dandy. Now they're completely gone and will twitc if I turn on the dome lights. This to me sounds like a short to ground, but would not know where to start the look. I've already removed and cleaned the instrument cluster and it remains the same.

Another thing to note is my Odometer has froze, it is lit up, but is stuck on the last number it was before the guages stopped working. The washer fluid indicator works still and sometimes the airbag warning comes on...it's all messed up. Once in a while the tach will raise up to about 2 grand, but is not in cohearance with TPS.

These are the codes I pulled and could not clear them:
P1698 = no ccd message from tcm
P0700 = tranny control system malfunction

I'm going on a long distance trip tomorrow, so any advice to get this operational again would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Sean

pull just the instrument cluster out and there should be two sets of connectors behind it. clean the ends of the terminals and apply light amount of dielectric grease to connectors. found this fix for it on all data was a tsb afew years back.

blackclassic said:
pull just the instrument cluster out and there should be two sets of connectors behind it. clean the ends of the terminals and apply light amount of dielectric grease to connectors. found this fix for it on all data was a tsb afew years back.

What is a tsb please??

Thanks, Sean

TSB = Technical service bulletin...
Your TCM and your Instrument Cluster communmicate with the PCM over the CCD buss, which is basically a 2 wire (twisted pair transmit/receive) that starts at the PCM Connector "C" pins 28 and 30. SO...you might want to try disconnecting the battery, and then very carefully inspecting the PCM connectors, clean/repair/reseat the connectors, and see if that has any affect. IF you have the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer) it also is on the same buss. I would guess that if you have a overhead console with compass, etc. it might talk to same buss also, but I am not sure. So, you need to inspect those circuits and their connections.

McQue said:
TSB = Technical service bulletin...
Your TCM and your Instrument Cluster communmicate with the PCM over the CCD buss, which is basically a 2 wire (twisted pair transmit/receive) that starts at the PCM Connector "C" pins 28 and 30. SO...you might want to try disconnecting the battery, and then very carefully inspecting the PCM connectors, clean/repair/reseat the connectors, and see if that has any affect. IF you have the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer) it also is on the same buss. I would guess that if you have a overhead console with compass, etc. it might talk to same buss also, but I am not sure. So, you need to inspect those circuits and their connections.

Very informative, thank you, I will try this!

Sean

Back