• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission output speed sensor

jeepcherokeethng

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is what i found in the aw4 troubleshout in 1996, the AW4 transmission added a front input speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed from a 1-pulse/rev reed sensor to a 4-pulse/rev magnetic sensor. For this reason, if you are planning a swap you should try to keep the same year wiring harness and computer.

Ive have a 92-93 wiring harness and tcu but a newer styler transmission. Trying to figure the best possable solution. If anyone has done this let me know.

Could get the newer computer and change the older style tcu connecter to the new one by changing the pins and connector and wiring up the input speed sensor.

Or can you modify the newer style output speed sensor or modify the reluctor ring on the output shaft.

i dont think you can do anything about it, i thought this was the reason guys were using the 98 as a swapper into tjs cause the tranny has a stand alone computer and the older ones were controlled by the vehicles computer. i dont think they are compatible at all. if you have a 92 then you need that style if you have a newer one then you need that one as a swapper

Dont quote me on this but in 96-97 for one year or so they changed the aw4 a little. Added a input speed sensor and the tcu computer was changed. Until then the tcu is all stand alone as far as i know.

As far as a fix, im going to the just yard tm to pull the extension housing off a older aw4 and see if i can just swap the reluctor ring. "Crossed fingers". Then it will be like the older trans' and just not use the input speed sensor.

I will let you knnow how it goes.

Ok so if anyone ever does this swap the solution is easy!!! Dont worry about the input speed sensor. Get the older single pulse reluctor ring and swap it in the extension housing. Need the older styler sensor and hold down. Make a simple bushing to make the snsor fit and grind down the hold down bracket. Put everything back together then done.

The problem with the other ring is that its telling to tcu that your are going 4x as fast as your really going and pretty much shifts straight to overdrive.

A few corrections. The front input sensor was not added and rear sensor pulse count changed until 98. I had originally though it was 96, but the 97 FSM doesn't show it - I don't have a 98 to confirm. Follks reporting that the awshifting mod causes a CEL light on 98 and later does point to this being correct, though. The TCU connector changed in 96 when they went OBDII. The wiring harness connectors changed in 98.

I'm not sure what you mean about a bushing? The older sensor should have fit right in once you swapped the rotor. At least that was the case when I swapped a 99 tranny into my 89. Yeah, I scratched my head for a little bit trying to figure out why it was shifting so quickly. :}

Hi, I have a automatic 2wd 95 Jeep cherokee Sport. My boyfriend installed a 98 jeep cherokee transmission. Everything has been rebuilt and works, but now we can't shift into second gear and my heat gage isn't working. He needs to know how to wire up or connect the output or input shaft speed sensor from a 98 to a 95. I hope I am explaining this correctly! Need some advice and direction! Thank you so much!

Hi, I have a automatic 2wd 95 Jeep cherokee Sport. My boyfriend installed a 98 jeep cherokee transmission. Everything has been rebuilt and works, but now we can't shift into second gear and my heat gage isn't working. He needs to know how to wire up or connect the output or input shaft speed sensor from a 98 to a 95. I hope I am explaining this correctly! Need some advice and direction! Thank you so much!

Something isn't right. If he did hook up the rear speed sensor, it would be upshifting way too soon. The 98 tranny sensor puts out 4x as many pulses per rev as the 95 tranny. From experience, you'll be in 4th gear by the time you hit 20 mph.

Really long thread, but full of good info on swaps. You might post in the OEM tech section as it gets much more traffic.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Okay I have a 99 2wheeldrive and swap to 4x4 my dumb butt didn’t check the plug think it’s 97 transmission transfercase .

So I have the 7 wire plug on the body now a 5 plug for the transmission.

I had a input and output transmission now just one sensors

Any help be much needed don’t want to pull and swap for another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I have a 99 2wheeldrive and swap to 4x4 my dumb butt didn’t check the plug think it’s 97 transmission transfercase .

So I have the 7 wire plug on the body now a 5 plug for the transmission.

I had a input and output transmission now just one sensors

Yeah, that 99 TCM is looking for the front front, and will throw codes when it doesn't see it. You might be able to swap in a 97 TCM and do some minor splicing to make the connectors plug together. I think it should work. I don't recall exactly, but you probably want to use the NSS from the 97 trans. The thread I mentioned above says it worked for someone but not someone else.

Yeah, that 99 TCM is looking for the front front, and will throw codes when it doesn't see it. You might be able to swap in a 97 TCM and do some minor splicing to make the connectors plug together. I think it should work. I don't recall exactly, but you probably want to use the NSS from the 97 trans. The thread I mentioned above says it worked for someone but not someone else.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently put a 96 transmission in my 99 XJ. The front speed sensor plug is currently dangling since the 96 dosent have the speed sensor in the front of the transmission. Is it possible to change my TCM out or what's the best solution? Thanks 👍🏻.

There is no solution. You can swap the newer dual speed sensor trans into an older xj, but you can't go the other way. The computer needs than input signal and there is no provision for it to be added to the older style trans. Sorry.

Back