• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

General tires.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
General tires quit making their grabber m/t . why?....

it was an amazing tire in my opinion. now all they make is an grabber a/t

does anyone else run these tires? does anyone have a set of them lying around that have decent tread??...

I bought two sets of General Grabber A/T's for the wife and mom-in-law's rides. They never see off road, but they have seen snow and ice aplenty. They also have been driven across country from Whittier,CA to Manchester NH while towing a 3K lb trailer. For a DD I would not hesitate to purchase them- they have great road manners, great snow traction- i think they are severe weather approved as well. We have had them for over a year and treadwear is fantastic on a 3400 lb SUV. My wife probably has a good 10K miles on hers and they still look damn near new. Great tire at a great price IMO. BTW, they both drive a Buick Rendezvous FWD, not AWD. She has not been stuck in the snow yet. To top it all off, they are quite inexpensive.
I have been seriously considering either those or the D/C FC2's for my spring/summer tire purchase.

BTW- these are the Grabber AT2's.

damn Germans....

(they are owned by Continental AG IIRC)

maybe CAG makes something similar?

WITH A QUICK SEARCH I FOUND THIS:

Titan Tire Corporation Acquires CTNA’s OTR Facility
CHARLOTTE, NC (August 1, 2006) - Titan Tire Corporation of Bryan today announced it has acquired the off-the-road (OTR) tire facility of Continental Tire North America, Inc (CTNA) in Bryan, Ohio. The agreement was reached on July 31 for an approximate purchase price of $53 million.
“CTNA is pleased to have reached this agreement with Titan, a leader in the OTR tire business,” said Chief Executive Officer of Continental AG Manfred Wennemer. “The sale of our Bryan facility is part of our overall strategy to focus on Passenger and Light Truck and Commercial Vehicle tire manufacturing. Today’s announcement along with our other restructuring efforts will help us to secure our continued presence in North America for years to come.”
The OTR facility in Bryan has a workforce of approximately 325 employees and posted sales of $125 million in 2005.

Heres a PDF of Titans OTR Catalog

http://www.titanstore.com/pdf/GeneralOTRVol1_web.pdf

Last edited:
Ummmm- that was a catalog of skidder, hauler and tractor tires. (OTR's)
I suppose it's a good sale so they can focus on making tires that aren't an embarassment like unfortunately a good number of General tires are. But, in the year since the sale the only new design is the AT2, which was probably long in the works while the OTR's were still an integral part of their business.
Surprise, surprise, Continental has their version of the Grabber AT2 also.

I have been running the AT2 now for a year and they have been better on and off road than the BFG AT I had mainly used before.
I did see an ad though in a US mag ( might have been JP ) that they were about to release a new MT. Had the tyre shrouded so you could not tell what the new tread looked like.

Gojeep said:
I have been running the AT2 now for a year and they have been better on and off road than the BFG AT I had mainly used before.
I did see an ad though in a US mag ( might have been JP ) that they were about to release a new MT. Had the tyre shrouded so you could not tell what the new tread looked like.
There is an artical in the March 08 issue of "Off-Road" on the new Grabber from General Tire. It is supposed to be a off-road only tire geared for the desert racing guys. I searched around, but can't find any pics of it online. According to the artical it only comes in a 37x12.50x17 size as of now, but there supposed to expand that to other sizes, and also go for DOT approval by 2010. There is a nice big picture on page 78 if you want to take a look see.

Back