• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box noise

lanretsr

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking over my xj last night trying to find way my front ned is lose and making a noise. I noticed theres a popping sounds coming from the steering box? Anyone ever have this problem? I never had a box go bad on me before what are the symtoms? Any help would be great. Thanks

check your unibody for cracks mine did that and i had a bunch oc small craks near the s.box so i welded em and made a reinforcemnet plate. noise gone. it happened because my track bar had a heim joint and it was angled wrong so it was twisting my "frame". dont know if this helps at all

i have the same thing a "popping" mine happens mostly when i turn to the left. it will pop once or twice on a full turn. it also leaks a little bit from the pitman arm, never fixed it. this also caused play where the pitman arm comes out this may be that same with yours. in the end i never fixed it and it doesnt seem worse it has nothing to do with my track bar sounds like thatswhat your dealing with

Back