• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank start problem...any ideas?

mooncster

NAXJA Forum User
I'm slowly trying to find time to work on my jeep and usually use the search tool but I'm coming up a little short so I thought I'd put this out. It's an 89 4.0 w/ an auto and he won't start. I've confirmed there's fuel pressure and power to the starter but it won't start. There's a new starter in and you can hear it extend when you turn the key but I get no crank...any ideas? Thanks for all the help guys!

I'd say you got a bad starter. It happens, especially if it's an aftermarket reman part. Check the voltage drop across the positive cable from the battery to the starter (Using a voltmeter connect one lead to the positive battery terminal, one lead to the positive connection at the starter, and try to crank the engine. If you're reading between 5 to 12V, you have a bad cable).

Could just be a weak battery though.

hmm...battery, cbles, voltage drop....hmmm..
heres how mine went down. nss crapped out. i bypassed it. a few weeks later, it wouldnt start. my cps was out. i put a new one in. then, a month later, battery goes out. i take it out and charge it, but it wont hold a charge, so i get a new one. next, my starter decides to die. now its my cables that need replacing, too much voltage drop....

I'll test the voltage in the next day or two when I have time and it's not 7 degrees outside lol. This may sound stupid, but how do you manually turn the engine from the crank? Never done it before hehe. I don't think it's the NSS cause when that tweaked last time, it wouldn't allow anything to turn on including the fuel pump and what not. At least here you can hear the starter extend and fuel pump engage, it just doesn't crank the engine

I had the about the same list of problems as Chris. Check the CPS sensor forst. Take an axe handle or other device and follow the wires down the back of the driver's side of the engine to the top of the tranny. tickle them a bit and see if it will start. Next, check the NSS. Mine works two different ways. Either I have to turn the key with my left hand and push the shift lever forward REALLY hard. If that doesn;t work, pull it back slightly while in Park.

After dealing with these and my ignition (switch not the lock cylinder) began having problems, then my starter relay went out, I just bypassed everything and put a push-button started switch inside the cab. This bypassed all of the problems and it starts EVERY time now (knock on wood).

Good luck!

mooncster said:
I'll test the voltage in the next day or two when I have time and it's not 7 degrees outside lol. This may sound stupid, but how do you manually turn the engine from the crank? Never done it before hehe. I don't think it's the NSS cause when that tweaked last time, it wouldn't allow anything to turn on including the fuel pump and what not. At least here you can hear the starter extend and fuel pump engage, it just doesn't crank the engine

Get a socket that will fit the crank bolt and turn it with a ratchet.

JJacobs said:
Tap the end of the starter motor with a hammer. Could be stuck brushes.

I'd use a rubber mallet if you're gonna be hammerin on the starter. Something about hitting an object that's constantly hot with another metal object, just doesn't sound too appealing to me.

sounds like your neutral start switch is bad if your lucky you can move the shifter back and fourth and it might start that were id start you can by pass it with a screw driver just jump across the contacts on the starter and it should crank. try it

99XJSPORT06 said:
I'd use a rubber mallet if you're gonna be hammerin on the starter. Something about hitting an object that's constantly hot with another metal object, just doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Why? The case is grounded, no voltage there.

Back