• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-UP Rear window defogger blows starter fuse

docboy209

NAXJA Forum User
Just to let you guys know, the rear window defogger is run directly off the same fuse as your starter solenoid on '97 and up. It's a 30A Maxi fuse in the PDC under the hood that's only labeled "Starter." I recently found this out when I went to leave work and it would't even click when turning the key.

The problem was at the left side connection to the glass. The plastic interior trim panel has no relief cutout for the wires. Mine rubbed completely through onto the sheet metal creating a direct short to ground. My fix was to remove the trunk panel, make some relief cuts, cover the sheet metal with a few layers of electrical tape, and then just wrap up the wire.

I didn't know the 2 things were fed by the same fuse until I looked it up in a factory manual. The new starter is working fine though, lol.:gonnablow

docboy209 said:
Just to let you guys know, the rear window defogger is run directly off the same fuse as your starter solenoid on '97 and up. It's a 30A Maxi fuse in the PDC under the hood that's only labeled "Starter." I recently found this out when I went to leave work and it would't even click when turning the key.

The problem was at the left side connection to the glass. The plastic interior trim panel has no relief cutout for the wires. Mine rubbed completely through onto the sheet metal creating a direct short to ground. My fix was to remove the trunk panel, make some relief cuts, cover the sheet metal with a few layers of electrical tape, and then just wrap up the wire.

I didn't know the 2 things were fed by the same fuse until I looked it up in a factory manual. The new starter is working fine though, lol.:gonnablow

I hate it when that happens, we tested the snot out of the alternator the other nite before coughing up the bucks for the new NDenso. That was an expense I really did not need right now...

Good info, thanks for posting. But, I'm wondering if this isn't just for a '97. I'm seeing in '98+ that the passenger kick panel fuse 12 is for the rear heater(defogger) timer and fuse 14 is for the rear heater(defogger). Can anyone confirm this.

Last edited:
rstarch345 said:
Good info, thanks for posting. But, I'm wondering if this isn't just for a '97. I'm seeing in '98+ that the passenger kick panel fuse 12 is for the rear heater(defogger) timer and fuse 14 is for the rear heater(defogger). Can anyone confirm this.

The 30A under the hood supplies power through the relay in the kick panel to the window grid. The other fuse in the kick panel (#14) feeds the heated mirrors (if equipped), and the little orange indicator light inside the switch. Fuse #13 is there, but it doesn't feed anything according to the factory book. And it's definitely not just '97. Mine is a '98, my father's is a '99, and they never changed all the way up to '01.

Back