• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring over axle and front coil spacers.

massscene

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking around for a while and I have recently found out the limits of my xj in stock trim. I am wanting to lift and put bigger tires but like so many of us my budget is real low.

I have been looking around at my options and have found that to get a decent lift kit w/ supporting mods and wheels and tires I am looking at about 2,500 bucks.

Well i have been doing more digging and I have found that a spring over axle kit, a drop pitman arm, new front coils and or coil spacers could be had for much less money. In fact by doing a spring over axle system and using as much oem parts as possible I could get rims, tires, lifted as well as sye, cv drive shaft and t case drop for about 1000.00 bucks.

Anyone out there do this sort of budget lift. Whats your opinion. I daily drive my rig so it seems like the ride quality would not be hurt too bad concidering the stock springs being used. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rich

All XJ's leave the factory with the rear suspension Spring Over Axle (SOA).

There are a few budget boost kits around with add-a-leafs and coil spacers starting at $99.

you dont need a drop pitman arm til you get up around 6 inches of lift...even then, I think most people go over the knuckle/high steer rather than the DPA....its all about keeping your draglink parallel with your trackbar.

The options for your rear lift kind of depend on what kind of shape your current leaf pack is in. If your ass end is already sagging, then an extended shackle will just make it frown even faster. Add A Leafs attain their lift by using a thicker and/or more heavily arched leaf to "beef up" the pack. the AAL ends up taking the brunt of the weight in the rear, and often times, ends up sagging along with the rest of the pack.

Decide how much lift you want, what size tires you want to run, and what condition your current stock setup is. What year is your Jeep? What kind of wheeling are you wanting to do?

If you want great on-the-road ride quality, there are certain kits that you'll want to stay away from b/c they ride a bit stiffer/rougher than others. I'll plug Old Man Emu yet again, and while they max out at about 3" of lift, the ride quality is excellent! You can get them up to about 5" with an ACOS or spacers up front, and adding their extra leafs in the back + a shackle....

Keep posting, you'll get help - and do some searching on here, there's TONS of info around...

Well thanks for the post responses guys.

I know how to wrench and I know a lot of theory involved in automotive work but it was all relative to being low and going fast. Now its the opposite so I am just completely messed up..... itll come around though.

Alright ill try to help you out since im really bored and nowhere ready to sleep. First what year? Second objectives... What do you wanna do with your jeep? Third do you like using a sawzall because it might be time to get friendly with it.

-Alex

If you go to a ubolt eliminator in the rear you can gain some lift, tilt your axle up for the proper alignment to the sye and move the axle back either 1/2 an inch or 1 inch, depending how you choose to install it. I bought mine from tnt. I think they offer 3 different heights. I reinforced mine because they started to bend. I think the top plate should be a little thicker.

needsrepair said:
If you go to a ubolt eliminator in the rear you can gain some lift, tilt your axle up for the proper alignment to the sye and move the axle back either 1/2 an inch or 1 inch, depending how you choose to install it. I bought mine from tnt. I think they offer 3 different heights. I reinforced mine because they started to bend. I think the top plate should be a little thicker.
?????

its a 94 2 door sport

It will definetly be a daily driver first but an EVERY weekend warrior. Its really a mix of all types of wheeling from hill climbing, to crawling, to mudding. But daily driver first!

Yes sawz-all is my friend, as well as blow torch, welder, plasma cutter, and air chisel *spelling

U bolt eliminators are not the first thing I would reccomend. (go to t&tcustoms.com to read about them). I probably suggest going with a 3-4 inch lift and 32's. Unless your going to regear at the same time those are gonna stress your driveline and kill your mileage. So maybe 31's.

-Alex

Definetly going with atleast 32's, I will re gear. I have already had a truck with 31's and it was very capable but I would like to step it up a notch.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! not rustys!!! :)

i'm at a loss for words right now...

JNickel101 said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! not rustys!!! :)

i'm at a loss for words right now...

not one single problem with the rustys springs that i have.

what problems did you have with his kit/parts that you have used?

use any kit that offers a new track bar and full leaf packs that is in your budget. for height i suggest somewhere between 3.5"-4.5" try and go with 3.5" since your on a budget and then you SHOULDNT have to do an sye

rubicon express is considered the best.

but if you want to go 4.5" use rough country if you cant use rubicon express

He wants a great on road ride...why do people keep bringing up rustys, RC and RE?

I've heard that rusty's leafs are ok....dont know about coils....

Track bar, tie rod, control arms - all i've seen broken. from a friend who had a full rusty's kit that went to shit on him "rusty shouldnt be allowed to sell any part that is supposed to 'move'"

I like some of his armor, however....I tried to use one of his cross members, and it didnt line up right - none of the bolt holes were drilled properly. but it did have a nice powdercoat finish!

he rips you off on shipping too. and if you mistakenly select "express shipping" and then call him and say I want to change the shipping option, you get "oh that item already shipped, we can't change the shipping method..."

this was about 2 minutes after i ordered the item - so i tried to cancel the order, and got the same "cant cancel, item shipped already"

so i decided to take it in the @ss, got the part, and it didnt even fit! so i was left with a rather expensive paperweight.

yea

not many people have had great experiences with rusty's

also the lift kit does not typicially determine the ride quality if it's inder 4.5"

the shocks have a much bigger role

its probably about 98% bad, 2% good when it comes to Rustys.

It wouldnt surprise me if he outsourced his springs, and it turns out they were made by Alcan or something else. I cant remember who it is (RE maybe?) who's springs are actually mass produced by Alcan....

Back