• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 4.0 fuel pump question

Heep II

NAXJA Forum User
O.K.. Here goes..

Bought a 93 xj sight unseen not running that had been sitting for about a year.. Owner couldn't figure out how to get it started. Finally ran through everything and have finally came to the conclusion it needs a fuel pump. So I've read and searched and this is what I've come up with so far..
Planning on replacing the whole fuel pump/sender/lines inside the tank ( the pump is in the tank right ?? ) replace the fuel filter .. Anything else I'm missing ?? Clean the tank out well while it's out ..

Best recomendation on fuel pump assy in the ft worth area ?? NAPA ?

If you replace the whole unit its big money. Not sure? Probably $400.00 You may find it online cheaper. I replaced just the pump. It was a bit of a project. It was $90.00 from Murrays. My 2000 had the filter in the tank and it was funky at 95,000 miles Did you check the pressure at the schreder valve?

I have done my fuel pump -TWICE- !! I went with the NAPA part (made by Carter). After 23 months, it croaked and the NAPA guy gave me a new pump ! It was technically out of warrantee after 12 months, but the guy knows I shop there and will continue if he treats me right !

I dropped the tank. I have heard many say that it is not necessary. I tried it with the tank in position but had the feeling that the twisting and gymnastics required to get it in caused the 'sock' on the fuel inlet tube to slip off. So, my advice is drop the tank, drain it and you will find that your peace of mind will be worth it. Well worth the extra hour of work.

'93 has an external fuel filter. Change it out when you do the pump. Good luck dude !! Bill-93XJ

Heep II said:
O.K.. Here goes..

Bought a 93 xj sight unseen not running that had been sitting for about a year.. Owner couldn't figure out how to get it started. Finally ran through everything and have finally came to the conclusion it needs a fuel pump. So I've read and searched and this is what I've come up with so far..
Planning on replacing the whole fuel pump/sender/lines inside the tank ( the pump is in the tank right ?? ) replace the fuel filter .. Anything else I'm missing ?? Clean the tank out well while it's out ..

Best recomendation on fuel pump assy in the ft worth area ?? NAPA ?

how did you verify that it was a fuel pump problem? did you apply 12v directly to the pump and it didnt spin?

reason i ask, its common for the cps to go bad and you wont get fuel pressure. you also wont get spark, but i assume you checked for fuel and spark.

No pressure-0- at valve.. Fuel pump isn't engaging at all. lifted the rear seat and checked the wires running into the tank, cycled the key and it gives a 3-4 second charge of power then clicks off. checked this with another cherokee a friend owns and this is correct with the truck ignition in the "ON" postition.Doesn't give constant current while the engine is off.. Cut the wire so I wouldn't get any feedback through the system and direct wired to 12v. pump just clicked, assuming it 's locked up.. Put it all back together and now just trying to decide where to go to get a good reliable reasonably priced pump/assy to replace it with..

Engine is getting fire.. Will start and run for a few seconds if you feed it fuel through the throttle body..

As Bill93xj says about replacing his twice. I worry about mine. It wasnt hard to replace but it was a total disassemble and use a couple dodads that they dont give in the kit. I didnt want to spend big money for the whole thing but I would have liked to. I wonder if I could go with an external pump and filter. GEEEEEEEEE theres an idea.......an easy to get to fuel filter. Heres a pic of my 2000 filter at 94,000 miles

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

needsrepair said:
As Bill93xj says about replacing his twice. I worry about mine. It wasnt hard to replace but it was a total disassemble and use a couple dodads that they dont give in the kit. I didnt want to spend big money for the whole thing but I would have liked to. I wonder if I could go with an external pump and filter. GEEEEEEEEE theres an idea.......an easy to get to fuel filter. Heres a pic of my 2000 filter at 94,000 miles

Now there is an idea! I have two other Bosch High Performance pumps and a Walbro. Hmmm. If (when) my pump goes out, the new pump will be mounted external.

Since you have(had) the pump out, what is the part number stamped into the body? Is it a Bosch?

Back