• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting 2WD to 4WD

smith31077

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1985 Pioneer 4X4 with a 2.8L V6 and 5 speed with command trac.. and a 1994 Sport 2WD with a 4.0 H.O. and a 5 speed tranny.. Is it possible to use the transfer case and axles from the 85 with the 94.. Will everything interchange?

Good question. I know you can go backwards with the years. We just did one to an 88 2WD to make it 4WD and sourced from newer vehicles.

front axle, yes, but you'll have to lock the vacuum actuator to the engaged spot so your 4wd will work.

t-case, no. it's a long input shaft and 21 spline, and a np207 (or np229/227 something like that if it's selec-trac), the 96 is a 23 spline input and most likely a short shaft, and an np231 t-case or an np242 t-case.

rear axle...VERY SERIOUS mistake to swap. 1994 was most likely a chrysler 8.25 rear axle. your 85 DEFINITELY has a dana 35 rear axle, which is inferior in every single way, and will probably destroy itself behind a HO unless you're careful (I've seen them detonate many times on stock axles)

so the overall answer is no

jeepcomj said:
your 85 DEFINITELY has a dana 35 rear axle, which is inferior in every single way, and will probably destroy itself behind a HO unless you're careful (I've seen them detonate many times on stock axles)

really??? D35s have been behind HOs for years.. for regular use the 35 is fine.. but will show its weakness as soon as you start expecting performance out of it..

sidriptide said:
really??? D35s have been behind HOs for years.. for regular use the 35 is fine.. but will show its weakness as soon as you start expecting performance out of it..

I've seen the pieces of ring gear teeth his D35 axle is spitting out... This is using it as a DD...

yep.

my dana 35 lost 2 ring gear teeth for no good reason, then detonated (slowly) on a trip back from Marshall, WI to my home in Burlington, WI on the interstate.

we were counting the teeth as I lost them (at this point, I just wanted to get home and park it, and I REFUSE flat-out to use another dana 35. temporarily it's getting a matched gear chryco 8.25 (which was MORE common in HO's after 1993 than dana 35's) while I try to find a 4.10 front axle to match my dana 44 rear axle.

Back