• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EXO-Cage?'s

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So i know this should be under advanced fab and all but being a college student i don't get my check till next month so i can't become a full member till then. I have to build a roll cage for a comp in class. Me not liking roll cages on the inside of jeeps i wanna build an EXO. What is the best way to go about attaching the tubing to the frame? I dont want to just tear the frame rails off when i roll so... I want to make it so that it will make the rig really rigid without having to fully plate the sub frame. I'm also looking for crucial points to tie the cage into to help. The sky is the limit here and it is all quality DOM tubing so. I have seen cages that run across the engine bay and everything, this is the stuff i'm looking for, just want some advice from experienced wheelers that have tried and failed and tried again and learned from there mistakes. I want to tie it into the custom front and rear bumpers and a set of custom built rock sliders as well.

The easiest way is run some 3x3 or 4x4 angle along the framerails and attach your sliders to them as well... You say you don't want to plate the rails yet want to keep from tearing the unibody up... Almost an Oxy-Moron

ZacSquatch said:
The easiest way is run some 3x3 or 4x4 angle along the framerails and attach your sliders to them as well... You say you don't want to plate the rails yet want to keep from tearing the unibody up... Almost an Oxy-Moron

X2 Plate the rails!!

yeah i didnt know if there was a way to attatch them like with backing plates like when full frame trucks make internal roll cages and they go through the body to the frame but the body is still removable. Like extreme 4x4's ranger they did.

Most important,he's doing this for a class and SHOULD be doing it alone based on his own skills/knowledge!

I wanted an exo a long time ago, but the thought of the tubing getting caught on trees, rocks, ect.. turned me away. They also don't work as great as an internal cage. But hey, its your rig, just throwing in my .02.

You can buy the flanges to bolt 2 peices of tube together so you can remove the cage...

echoooo Echooo Echhooo

The way you are talking about is how I did mine. Custom front/rear bumpers and 3/16 rock slides. I use it to lay on the rocks and have also had it on its roof and side with no problems. Large plates for the front bumper and multiple tie in points on the rear. No doors no rear hatch and no rear windows. I made it tie in at the a/b post and to the drip rail at the pass door also at the rear hatch in two spots.Good luck and have fun.

gorp said:
The way you are talking about is how I did mine. Custom front/rear bumpers and 3/16 rock slides. I use it to lay on the rocks and have also had it on its roof and side with no problems. Large plates for the front bumper and multiple tie in points on the rear. No doors no rear hatch and no rear windows. I made it tie in at the a/b post and to the drip rail at the pass door also at the rear hatch in two spots.Good luck and have fun.

Got any pics? Just want a visual, i figured i would be more likely to be able to drive home if i put it on its roof with an EXO than a roll cage. And wouldnt have to replace alot of sheetmetal to make her road worthy again.

no. the post in the middle of the two doors is in the way. I had the doors on for awhile without the center post, that is when it was rolled on the roof. Its not a dd so no need for doors. It is still street legal and driven to the trails that are close to the house. The tube doors are bolted to the stock hinges.

go to xjdb and search for pictures and you'll get plenty of ideas
there are some well built ones around here as well you should build internal diagonal braces as well as an exo will not support the lad this way

Back