• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tripometer not working

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
I did the cluster swap on my '94 XJ to get rid of the idiot lights and get an RPM gauge for my 5 speed. Everything worked great til about three months ago...now my tripometer won't move. It reset to 0000 and stayed there! any advice?

Thanks

-Dan

Mine was stuck for awhile, wouldn't move, only sometimes.

So I pushed in the button many many many times. Now it works flawlessly.

My guess is that the previous owner never really reset it and it got stuck up over 12 years and such and needed to be unstuck.

I suppose you could spray a small amount of penetrating oil or WD40 down the reset shaft and hope for the best.

Just some options for you.

PS, does your odometer work?

Hey thanks for the advice

I tried to press the button in several times and it didnt fix it, and yes my odometer does still work.

maybe you just have a bum trip. its not that hard to find a new cluster. you really dont even need the whole cluster. just the speedo assembly. too bad its so hard to adjust the odometer reading on those cluster to match the real mileage. the cluster with the dummy lights has an odometer that is much easier to change.

Back