• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc...

ExJayRob

NAXJA Forum User
Could I get a little feedback about rear disc conversions on XJ's, such as are there any downfalls with it, what parts can I rob off what other jeep, etc... I think this would definitely solve my problems...

Thanks guys

I converted my 97 to disc brakes from a Grand Cherokee setup. Works very well, no complaints. There are some good write-ups around here on how to do it.
Only problems that I have heard about rear disc conversions are the need for proportioning valve and brake booster on mainly 96-older XJ's.

I understand that D35 backing plates match up from zj to the xj D35, 8.25 and TJ D44.

Now the XJ D44 matches with the Mid 90's Crown Vic.

I have the XJ D44 and Crown Vic parts in my garage so that part I know for sure.

As for problems... I have heard some reports where the seals leak after the conversion to disks.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but there are 2 ZJ's in my local pick and pull and they want $6 for each backing plate. Im going to do this conversion. Heres my question, dose it matter what year ZJ you grab them off of? pre 98 correct? They only had the D35 too correct?

1- Pre 98 is a ZJ; 99+ is a WJ.
2- They also came with a D44A (aluminum), but the axle bolt flange pattern is the same, just like the TJ D44
3- Grab them! $6 is awesome!

So lemme get this right.... I have a 98, which is justa plain ole 8.25. I should be able to rob the rear disc package off of a 98 or older ZJ and not need any of the valve bodies or booster? I just checked out one of those links that LowRange had up on a previous thread, and the write up said nothing about having to get anything different for under the hook. thanks for the help by the way

Last edited:
ExJayRob said:
So lemme get this right.... I have a 98, which is justa plain ole 8.25. I should be able to rob the rear disc package off of a 98 or older ZJ and not need any of the valve bodies or booster? I just checked out one of those links that LowRange had up on a previous thread, and the write up said nothing about having to get anything different for under the hook. thanks for the help by the way

Yeah, sounds about right. Check more into the e-brake cables, there will be some modifications to be done. Personally I did not bother with that. Just calipers, rotors. etc.

Keep in mind that in order to convert over to disc, you do have to remove the axle shafts. Invest in new seals, bearings and axle lube.

I grabbed the e-brake cables and prop valve as well, but I still might have to get creative with it.

joshv98xj, Thats everything I needed to know. Thanks.

With my jeep being a Classic, I dont think it has any factory options for tow or anything, so should the booster and valves up front be ok? Some are saying yes, some are saying no. ???????

here's how I did my e-brake:
HardwareEdit.JPG

Ebrake1Edit.JPG

Ebrake2Edit.JPG

I snugged it all down and its been good since June.

ExJayRob said:
With my jeep being a Classic, I dont think it has any factory options for tow or anything, so should the booster and valves up front be ok? Some are saying yes, some are saying no. ???????

I put 94 CV disc on mine. I didn't change the prop. valve. I did have to clearance the center hole & grind some bracing off of the backing plate. Also had to redrill the mounting holes. Works great. JIM.

I grabbed all the hardware today... in the freezing rain at the junk yard. I grabbed off of a 95 ZJ the back plates with caliper mounts, the calibers, and the manifold right off of the master cylinder. This particular Jeep did have rear ABS, which I thought was pretty necessary on a rear disc vehicle, but from what I am hearing now, it is not. Can anyone give me some feedback about issues they have had after putting read disc on an XJ? My main concern is are they going to lock up on me like these drums have been, or will they work evenly side to side without any changes? Thanks for the help.

They should work fine. Don't do the proportioning valve until afetr the brakes are done and you take it for a test ride. You might not even need it. I didn't and now my jeep stops better on 35's then it stop stock.

Back