• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ, remote door's aren't unlocking...

sjordanxj

NAXJA Forum User
any ideas on where ot begin my torubleshooting? the doorlocks work from the inside of the jeep but they aren't wokring off my key fob anymore. batteries where just replaced ;)

Thanks!!
Seth

New batteries? :dunno:

so this leads me into my next question...

if i need a new fob I might as well get a remote start (stealership charges a ton for a fob not to mention the re-program I've heard) the remote starts with door unlock should do the trick correct?

oh yeah- batteries were replaced...I was hoping to get off easy but that wasn't the case. it's wierd...not even the panic button works, how would that button get wore out?

When you replace batteries in the FOB, they have to be reprogrammed. The only way I know ohw to reprogram them is with a DRBIII. So you may have to go to the dealership for this one.

while were on this topic, when i lock my jeep the horn beeps one day it stopped working... i dont mind it but when i walk away and try to lock it sometimes i cant tell if its locked any ideas how it get it back to beeping when i lock it... thanks its a 99, sorry if im hijacking ur post i can move this one if theres a problem

to reactivate the horn chirp feature:
Press an hold the lock button on the key fob for 5-10 seconds. While the lock button is being pressed, press and release the unlock button on the key fob.

KRAKER said:
When you replace batteries in the FOB, they have to be reprogrammed. The only way I know ohw to reprogram them is with a DRBIII. So you may have to go to the dealership for this one.

I changed my batteries twice and never had to reprogram it

The transmitter is controled by two fuses. Dome light fuse and the IOD fuse. check these first.

Programming a transmitter can be accomplished using either the DRB III or the MDS machine. Using the DRB III select Theft Alarm (even though Vehicle Theft Security System is not available for this vehicle) then Miscellaneous then Programming RKE . Select a position 1 - 4 . The locks will cycle to verify you are in programming mode. Press the unlock button on the transmitter. The locks will cycle again to verify programming has taken place. When you program to a position, that code will overwrite the code that was in that position and because you have no way of knowing if a valid code was there or not, it is recommended that whenever it is necessary to program a transmitter, all transmitters that are to be used with that vehicle should be programmed at that time. The 1999 XJ will have 2 RKE transmitters.
Horn chirp:
The optional Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system for this vehicle has a customer-programmable horn chirp feature. The horn chirp is requested by the RKE receiver through a hard-wired circuit to the horn relay whenever a valid Lock message is received from a programmed RKE radio transmitter.

The purpose of the horn chirp is to provide the vehicle operator with an audible verification that the Lock request has been received by the RKE receiver. However, for any number of reasons, some customers may prefer that this feature be disabled. This RKE system allows them that option.

To program the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver to disable the horn chirp feature, proceed as follows:

1. Press and hold the Lock button, of a programmed RKE transmitter, depressed for five to ten seconds.
  2. While holding the RKE transmitter Lock button depressed, press and release the RKE transmitter Unlock button.
  3. The horn chirp feature is now disabled. Repeating the preceding steps will again enable the horn chirp feature.
Resetting:
The transmitter will go out of synchronization if the button is pressed more than 128 times outside of the range of the receiver. In other words the transmitter will not unlock the doors. The transmitter will go out of synchronization if the batteries are removed and replaced. To synchronize the code of the particular transmitter with the receiver, press and hold the lock button while within the receiver range.

KRAKER said:

Changing batteries does NOT require a reprogram.

Back