• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Bolts

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
'94 4.0L auto.

Does anyone know the bolt sizes (shank diameter, length and thread pitch) for the starter bolts?

I need to replace the top mounting bolt but don't have the top mounting bolt to find the replacement with.

Thanks.

Damn now I need this info for a 98', both bolts.
Somehow my little brothers XJ spit out both bolts while driving.

Wonder if my 87' will match up to his 98'?
I'll post up if I find out before someone posts answer.

If someone happens to have starter bolts out and handy, that'd be great

Phil, What did you find?
Ever get your junk out of the garage yet?

RENIX 87-90 info from 5-90's bolts page: 3/8"-16 x 1.5", CRES (stainless) hardware preferred

I'm not sure what a 98 takes, but I have a 98 motor sitting in a friend's yard and will be pulling my 96 transmission this weekend (hopefully...) so if I remember I'll measure.

Hopefully I get this taken care of before then, but WE should post what we find regardless.
I'm sure I won't be the last looking for this info

A call to the dealer shows one of the bolts are the same but inconclusive if both.

Parts catalog:

.375-16x1.75 (3/8"-16x1.75")

M10x1.5x28

Awesome joe I just found this sounds confirmed now.
Now to send his driveshaft back to Tom Woods for a new CV unit (melted centering ball)

5-90 said:
Try 3/8"-16 x 1-1/4" and M10-1.25 x 30m/m. I think those are what I'd gotten - you'll want one of each.

In another thread I just saw M10-1.5 for the metric one, anyone know for sure whether it's 1.25 or 1.5 thread?

In another thread I just saw M10-1.5 for the metric one, anyone know for sure whether it's 1.25 or 1.5 thread?

97-99 Parts Catalog has the M10x1.5x28 and .375-16x1.75 listed by part number and the size.

Earlier parts catalogs only give part numbers. The part number for the .375-16x1.75 is consistent--J400 6192; the other bolt's part number changes so there may be different metric bolts (screws) used or just number reassignments.

Back