• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 too big?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
I was talking to my Cpl. today at work, who's big into the jeep scene, and mentioned I was probably going to end up with an 8.8 in the rear of my XJ instead of a D44 because of it's availability and ease of install. He insisted the 8.8 pumpkin was WAY too big and he'd recommend a D44. He said his son bought an 8.8 for his XJ and it's still sitting at his house.

So the question is this, is the 8.8 really that big? And on 31's and possibly 33's down the road will I still have decent clearance?

crazyjim said:
I was talking to my Cpl. today at work, who's big into the jeep scene, and mentioned I was probably going to end up with an 8.8 in the rear of my XJ instead of a D44 because of it's availability and ease of install. He insisted the 8.8 pumpkin was WAY too big and he'd recommend a D44. He said his son bought an 8.8 for his XJ and it's still sitting at his house.

So the question is this, is the 8.8 really that big? And on 31's and possibly 33's down the road will I still have decent clearance?
He's wrong. Most guys in my local club are running 8.8's (myself included), and some are running 37" Krawlers on 'em, though with alloy shafts.

Just make sure you get one out of a 96+ Explorer w/ disc brakes. Otherwise it's 28 spline axle and not worth the effort.

-----Matt-----

P.S. When you reference "ease of install," I'm not sure what you're talking about. The 8.8 is more work than just a "bolt-in" like the XJ 44.

IXNAYXJ said:
He's wrong. Most guys in my local club are running 8.8's (myself included), and some are running 37" Krawlers on 'em, though with alloy shafts.

Just make sure you get one out of a 96+ Explorer w/ disc brakes. Otherwise it's 28 spline axle and not worth the effort.

-----Matt-----

P.S. When you reference "ease of install," I'm not sure what you're talking about. The 8.8 is more work than just a "bolt-in" like the XJ 44.
Well as far as "ease of install" from what I understand I basically have to change spring perches, and that's about it? I dunno I'm new to this whole thing, I'm just listening to my dad who's got a YJ :laugh:

So what you're saying is the 8.8 rear doesn't hang down too low? If I'll still have good clearance with 31's than I'll be happy :)

I am running 35's with an 8.8 and I have 11.5" of ground clearance under the pumpkin. 31's would give you 2" less ground clearance than I have. This might be an issue depending on what type of terrain you drive. The 44 might gain you an inch of clearance over the 8.8 . My wife's TJ has 44's on 35's but I can't measure it right now.

Sometimes, just taking a slightly different line is all you need when you run out of clearance.

Personally, I think an 8.8 would be overkill for 31s. What are you running now, D35?

If you dont plan on going bigger than 33s, I'd go with a D44....much easier swap in, if you can find one from an 87-89 XJ.

You'd have to cut off the old spring perches and shock mounts (plus whatever other random crap is on there), mount new perches and shock mounts, probably re-gear...

Also, the 8.8 is about 1.25" narrower than a D44 from an XJ...

The 8.8 is also a c-clip...

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:

-----Matt-----

And i'm sure his co-worker meant "its way too big for 31s" - most people dont even talk about getting an 8.8 til they are at 33s or bigger...

I run one with 33s and haven't had any abnormal clearance issues, sure I have drug it up a trail but in that situation a D44 would have as well.

You have to remove the shock mounts, sway bar mounts, and spring perches, as well as craft up a brake line. Easy stuff.

IMO the only advantage of the D44 is the gear ratio matching most likely. If your going to regear thats not a problem. Sure they are C-clip but they have good shafts so if you break an 8.8 shaft its time to let off the gas a little..especially if your on 31s :)

Ive installed a handfull of 8.8s recently. The last one was in my buddies XJ. 4.5" RE lift...axle fit and was perfect with 4.56s and 33s.

I plan to install a 3.73 8.8 in my 01 XJ and Im only running 31s.

Is an 8.8 overkill for 31s? Probably. Is it better than a D35 or 8.25? Yes. Will it ever break on me? No...probably not. They are cheap, plentiful, and easy to install. Not to mention, you get disc brakes with no work involved besides bending up some metal lines.

The 8.8s are stupid easy to gear also. All you really need to do is weld the perches on. And this requirement, to me, is a great advantage. Now you can set your pinion angle, and get your shock mounts up high and angled right. You cant be lazy and just toss it in and use shims or whatever...like I did with my XJ D44. It sort of forces you to set it all up correctly, and you will be better for it in the end.

Like I said in another thread, I was a die hard D44 fan.... I have one in my 94. Its 4.56, ARB, Discs, etc. But now...Ill be using 8.8s. Ill still look for 44s in the yard...but only to re-sell them.

J.

I have talked with people who have had complaints about ground clearance. A guy in AZ just pulled his 8.8 for a D44 because clearance issues. I guess it going to come down to what you do with your Jeep.

Wounded XJ said:
I have talked with people who have had complaints about ground clearance. A guy in AZ just pulled his 8.8 for a D44 because clearance issues. I guess it going to come down to what you do with your Jeep.

It comes done to learning to drive with what you put in it. If I remember right the ground clearance difference is only like 1/2"

rockwerks said:
It comes done to learning to drive with what you put in it. If I remember right the ground clearance difference is only like 1/2"

That is true. I guess we should give Brian a hard time for always getting caught up on that thing.

I run my 8.8 on 31's... why? Because I got a smoking deal on one, and I don't mind a little overkill.

Yeah, the pumpkin is a bit bigger, but its pretty damn strong, I've dragged it on a couple rocks, and it still works fine.

Awesome guys, thanks EVERYONE for the replies. Especially those guys running an 8.8 with 31's. I also may end up with 33's later on if I ever decide to... I may just throw a 2" BB on top of the 4.5" and run the 33's.

I also like the option of disc brakes, it's such a nicer setup if I can get it to work, my question is this; What's a fair price for an 8.8 rear?

Haleyes wheeled an 8.8 with 30's.
Sure he dragged it around like my Dachsunds weiner in the snow, but it never seemed to be an issue.
the disc brake upgrade alone is worth it.

Back