• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb Qustion about SYE

beast4533

NAXJA Forum User
I guess I must be stupid or something, but why am I having trouble finding a SYE or info about one for a np242. I see stuff all over for a np231. I have a 91 4.0l auto xj. with 4.5" lift. the transfer case tag is stamped np242.
Thanks

We 242 owners always seem to get the short end of the stick, don't we. Well the same applies to SYEs for our transfer cases. The only thing available for the 242 is the Hack n Tap. They are provided by several different companies but they are all basically the same. I chose RE because I bought it all at the same time, Lift kit and SYE and drive shaft. Got the package deal. Other companies also have fine SYEs but you will have to decide for yourself which one to choose.

RE 1801 Hack and tap with a flanged driveshaft or Tom Woods SYE...Toms SYE is Spendy, so I've heard.

Re: noob Qustion about SYE

Thanks for the input. So if i get the RE kit I have to get a new driveshaft with the different end on it? Is there a link on the site here somewhere that shows this kind of install? Also on the RE site it says that the RE1801 is for the 231? Whats up with that? Is there a chance I can use the Long Slip Yoke (RE1822) that they sell to get by with the 4.5" untill later, or is that a 231 only part?

One other Question. Is the driveshaft coupler the same on both T cases?
Any pics would be most appreciated. This is one area I'm still pretty much in the dark on.

Last edited:
I got my Hack n Tap from DPG offroad. They have a package deal with a new drive shaft. I cant remember what I paid for it, but I remember it was one of the best deals around. Go to their website and look around, then give Dirk a call and see what he can do for you. The Hack n Tap sounds like it would be difficult, but it really is not. Good luck...

Back