• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clock,radio display lighting

xtp45lc

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '88 wagoneer-the clock and radio display are working,but not lit up- I have not been able to find info on here that I once read -seems it was written there is a relay behind a kick panel? anyone familiar with things I can check out? Steve

If you are talking about the clock which is beside the steering column ( as opposed to one on the radio unit) then simply take the dash off and replace the 194 bulb. very easy to do. self explanitory once you get the dash cover off.

The radio on the other hand........I really have no clue but I would bet a burnt bulb is the culprit.

--Alex

how funny-a bulb?! that would be great-I feel embarassed for over thinking/not thinking! thanks-will pull it apart as soon as time permits-

By the way, this is super easy. I'm talking like 15 minutes tops even if you were to get a 6 year old girl to do it ( no offense to 6 year old girls). It's a couple of screws to get the cover off and then 2 or 3 more to get the clock off. Of course you need to get the new bulb ( might wanna try a blue colored one, might be cool. I am gonna try it when I replace my dash bulbs this weekend.) but other then that, the clock comes out easily. The radio might give you a little bit more trouble.

I also find it funny how you have 7 posts and I have 5. What a bunch of n00bs we are.

good to meet you fellow newbie and thanks for the help-a little thing like a clock I can see without waving a zippo in front of it while navigating traffic would be a very good thing-

a note in case someone happens to do a search in the future-got the bulb in and happy to see my clock but it wasent a 194 bulb on mine-it was smaller,dont know the number but the same as the bulbs for the mirror in the visor-

Re: clock display lighting

If it is the same as the light in the OEM radio/cassette deck on a 1990, then the light in the radio is a small soldered-in bulb located inside the radio case. To get at it, you need to remove the radio, then take the outer cover off the radio. You will see the bulb over the display area. As for replacing it, I don't know the specs- could be 12 volt or could operate on less. Reconnect the radio with the cover off and use a meter across the bulb leads. You can then find something similar. Or, as we did on my daughter's jeep, upgrade to a cd player.....

the radio light would be nice but mainly just because it's supposed to be lit up-I dont really need it.a divorce has left me traveling more than I'd like to for visitations (HERS! a man can get custody by the way!)-this has made the clock important but I had the impression at first that there was a common problem keeping it and the radio from lighting up-I think a CD player is the best option for me too-thanks to all...

Back