• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch bumper design, thoughts?

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
My idea with this is to keep the outer parts tucked in close to the body and just have the center protruding to hold the winch. Some of the parts are also shared with my non-winch bumper so it would keep the cost lower due to higher volume. Do you guys think it looks too boxy in the middle? I made it wide enough to fit Warn's 9.5 MOSFET, though the winch in the pictures is dimensioned to Warn's XD9000i, which is probably the size of the widest winch most people use.
ASM_WINCH1.jpg

ASM_WINCH2.jpg

To me that looks just like the one i want to have on my xj. When do you think you will be building something like this for sale? I am interested in it.

Hey, that looks like my design!! Mine is only on paper at the moment! Just got my welder and plasma:woohoo: When ya get started post some pics. Design looks very good by the way!!:cool:

that looks pretty nice! I like it....

if i was you i would go the direction that no other manufactuerer has done yet.

By this i mean actually recessing the bumper in the grille itself. this would allow for almost non winch bumper-like approach angles and would also set your bumpers a step apart from others by making it unique.

The only bad part that would make this difficult is figuring where to put the wholes for the various winches. but this could be solved by having the customer tell you what model winch he is planning on using.

I like the skid plate idea, I'll have to work with that. The winch is currently positioned so it's right up against the grill so that's as far back as it'll go without trimming the grill. Making a version that actually recesses into the grill is a good idea but I kind of have to pick the one idea that would be most popular and roll with it because making parts, even if they're awesome, that only a few people want is expensive, and I'm not sure that too many people want to cut up their grill. It's something I'll keep in mind, though. Going up a couple inches is a good idea too. I considered it but was thinking it would make it much more complex. I just sketched up something that might work well, i'll have to actually model it tomorrow on the computer and see how it looks. As for price, it's hard to tell right now but I'd guess $350-$400. I'll try to have a prototype done in the next few weeks and then it'll be another 3-4 weeks before I have production bumpers but no promises. This is a hobby-turned-side job so I don't get as much time as I'd like to work on these.

well, I like guns and cars!!! come on out!:sunshine:

I really like that second version. Might be interested in ordering one of those when you get done. I'll have to order that custom stuff too while I'm at it.

I think the older style does stick out more, I know the bottom protrudes farther than the top. I have both styles in the driveway, I'll go take some pics.

Back