• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual AX15 to Auto AW4

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've seen/read the forums on doing this swap, or doing the opposite. Fact of the matter is, I'm tired of rowing the damn boat and want an auto. So....here's what I'm thinking and you guys that know more about it tell me what you think.

My AX15 in my 99 is all original and has just under 91k miles. If there is somebody out there that wants this trans and/or everything else to go along with it for a swap, you can have it for free......

.....Not really free, but I'm not asking for money. What I am asking for is in exchange for my trans and other stuff, you do the swap for me on my 99. Sound fair??

Now, I don't want some 14 year old that thinks he can do anything but doesn't know anything saying yeah ok I'll do this. I want someone who knows they can do this successfully and overcome and problems that may come about while doing this swap. I want it to be done properly, the first time!

keep0njeepin0n said:
Ok, so I've seen/read the forums on doing this swap, or doing the opposite. Fact of the matter is, I'm tired of rowing the damn boat and want an auto. So....here's what I'm thinking and you guys that know more about it tell me what you think.

My AX15 in my 99 is all original and has just under 91k miles. If there is somebody out there that wants this trans and/or everything else to go along with it for a swap, you can have it for free......

.....Not really free, but I'm not asking for money. What I am asking for is in exchange for my trans and other stuff, you do the swap for me on my 99. Sound fair??

Now, I don't want some 14 year old that thinks he can do anything but doesn't know anything saying yeah ok I'll do this. I want someone who knows they can do this successfully and overcome and problems that may come about while doing this swap. I want it to be done properly, the first time!

Bugger. Here, I've been looking for the front end of an external AX-15 for months.

Why do you want to do the swap? Just curious... I may be able to come up with some parts to help you out in your project.

As stated in the original post...I'm tired of rowing the boat and just want an auto! You're more than welcome do donate some prats, but you're not going to get the front end from my AX-15....that's not what this post is about!

easier swap would be the 700r4 behind your 4.0

i have done this a couple of times, the 99 aw4 is electronic. your vehicle does not have the controls to make the tranny shift. this requires new computers and wiring the vehicle.
the converion kit for the 700 is available from advanced adapters. the older 700r4 is nonelectronic tranny, basically a bolt in with the kit, you will need the kickdown cable etc. to make it work right. your rig will not know you have changed the tranny. i even used the factory aw4 shifter to control it, you have to grind off the detent in order to shift into 1st gear but that was easy. no wires to install just the mechanicals

i will eventually do this swap to the rig i have now, that being said, i have a good aw4 in the shop if you want it. make you a good deal on it, i was told it has 31k miles on it

rockhounds4x4 said:
easier swap would be the 700r4 behind your 4.0

i have done this a couple of times, the 99 aw4 is electronic. your vehicle does not have the controls to make the tranny shift. this requires new computers and wiring the vehicle.
the converion kit for the 700 is available from advanced adapters. the older 700r4 is nonelectronic tranny, basically a bolt in with the kit, you will need the kickdown cable etc. to make it work right. your rig will not know you have changed the tranny. i even used the factory aw4 shifter to control it, you have to grind off the detent in order to shift into 1st gear but that was easy. no wires to install just the mechanicals

i will eventually do this swap to the rig i have now, that being said, i have a good aw4 in the shop if you want it. make you a good deal on it, i was told it has 31k miles on it

Hmmmm, didn't even think of that! Good idea, something I'll definately look further into!

After reading some threads on the 700r4 I've heard mixed emotions about it....I think overall, I'd prefer the AW4 swap....so....any takers on above mentioned offer???

Back