• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a way to tell what equipment my xj came with?

massscene

NAXJA Forum User
I was lurching around and I noticed that there is a lot of talk about np231 and np242 (or something like that) transfer cases.

There is also different rear axles and so on.

As I have been searching for parts I have come to realize that I will need to know this stuff to order a lot of it.

Is there a way I can find out what my xj has? Like type my vin # in and get all this information.

Thanks.

The NP231 T case has 2wd N 4 hi 4 low and the NP242 has 2wd 4wd full time 4wd part time and 4 lo. There will also be a red and silver tag on your tcase that will have the model tcase on it. As far as rear ends the dana 35 came with abs equipped cherokees and the 8.25 came on most others. This is pretty much your options unless you have an 80s cherokee.

If all you want to know is your transfercase type, just crawl underneath and scope it out....it has a badge on it that says if it's a 231 or not. Same with axles and gearing.

you can give your vin# to Chrysler customer service and they will send you a build sheet that shows all the equipment your XJ was born with. other than that the D35 and 8.25 are pretty distinguishable. and what was said about the transfer cases.

They have a website for Chrysler Customer Service to request a copy of your build sheet but I can't find it. I used it and was surprised that they could still tell me about it from 18 years ago. I was pretty impressed. Took them about 10 days to respond but respond they did.

Here is a picture to help you identify your axles, but just like everybody else said you can read it right off the units themselves. The transfer case will have a circular tag on the rear side of it that will tell you what it is. The Dana 35 has letters cast into the upper right of the differential housing that will say D35C, not to mention it's distinct shape. Not sure if the other axles will have that, but I don't own any of the others either:) The Advanced Search function works GREAT on this website and can get you most of the information you require whether it is running gear identification, ideas for modifications, or troubleshooting faulty systems. Later.

It should be noted that some of the codes on the build sheet have been re-used, so some it won't make any sense. Mine (a '99) listed the axles, engine, and transmission correctly though. I don't think it listed the t-case.

axles.jpg

I forgot to attach the picture...oops.

Back