• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire question.

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 xj with 2" ome lift and 30" bfg ko's. I had the tires siped when I purchased them for the snow and ice. I have wheel them hard and are chunking a bit in spots. I noticed a lot more vibrations after a rotation and rebalance. I can understand the vibe after rotation since there was a bit too many miles between the previous rotation. I have had a few shops look at it and they say the chunkin is the problem due to siping a ko and wheeling a siped tire and they aren't worth rebalancing, but almost unbarable vibes at 70ish with ko's? There is plenty of tread left also. Just wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Sounds like you could possibly have a few things....seperating tire(s), bad front end parts (tie rod, ball joints, etc), improperly balanced tire, OR a bent wheel.

Can you be more specific as to the problem? Where is the vibration coming from? Is it in the steering wheel or can you feel it in the seat of your pants better?

The chunking is normal. My KO's got up into my fenders and 'siped' themselves. They have chunked around those 'sipes' quite a bit now. Mine have not been thrown off balance to a point where I notice it, still pretty smooth. Good luck getting it fixed.

Probably lost a weight or two somewhere wheeling!!! Take the damn crappy lead weights off and put airsoft bb's or zink plated bb's inside the tires and be done with it!!!:cool:

loose the weights on something that small? My buddy said he did that and sometimes when he accelerates hard it throughs them off and shakes(any feedback). So should I just take it somewhere and said Balance them, that's it. Then see how it is? Thanks guys. I have new upper and lower ball joints, everything up front is legit, slightly worn front axel joints, they have like 20,000 on them. Thanks

ColoradoRaptor said:
Probably lost a weight or two somewhere wheeling!!! Take the damn crappy lead weights off and put airsoft bb's or zink plated bb's inside the tires and be done with it!!!:cool:

No, don't do that shit! I did that with mine with dynabeads and found out later that the vibrations I were having were not front end parts, they were unbalanced tires!

if your tires are not smooth all around but rather have chunking, cupping, feathering etc... Then they will cause a lot of vibes even when balanced because they are out of round. If thats the case then you have to put up with it or get new tires. If you can post some pics then that would be helpful.

keep0njeepin0n said:
No, don't do that shit! I did that with mine with dynabeads and found out later that the vibrations I were having were not front end parts, they were unbalanced tires!

Try it!! You might like it!!!:gee: Works for most, just search and read!! BUT not everyone gets good results.........I have always hated external weights!! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938600

Last edited:
Back