• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Speedometer inoperative

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ 4.0/AW4/231

Installed a 2000XJ 231 transfer case into rightseatsis' 2001XJ. Install went well. However the speedometer and odometer do not work, they did before the TC replacement. I used her original speed sender on the install. To test I took a 'spare' vehicle speed sender off my shelf and tried that with no joy either. Performed the cluster self test & that checks out OK.
The questions:
1. I looked through the service manual and can not determine which fuse is the power source.
2. Could there have been a voltage spike to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) even thogh the key was in the 'off' position?
3. Is there a harness connector between the speed sender & PCM that could have pulled loose when I lowered the rear of the ENG/Trans to get the TC out?

Also the check engine light came on yesterday when she was driving and she disconnected the battery to reset the lamp (to not panic 80yo Dad who drives it the most). Not sure if the speedometer worked prior to the Check engine light coming on, i believe it did during the test drive after install, but my main concern was noises.
Thanks,
Tom

does the housing for the speedo gear on a 2001 need to be clocked in the correct position.

on my 89 231 case, the speedo gear housing had to be clocked in the correct postion for the number of teeth on the gear.

Karl,
SYE - No, it's a straight up stock case to case replacement. I also thought the drill idea, but spin it clock wise or counterclockwise?
Snap Ring - One of my initial thoughts also. I looked at the TC on the floor and I believe the speedo drive gear is integral to the shaft, not a seperate piece that would be keyed to the shaft.

Also from my GM mechanic days, checked the wear on the 'original' speed sender, looking for worn teeth (steel gear driving nylon gear), but installing the spare would have eliminated that problem. The condition of the 'spare' may be questionable, it came with a core TC picked up off of craigslist. I may pull the speedo sender from my 2000XJ and install as a test, that speedometer is working.

89XJ - Never thought of 'clocking' the the teeth are evenly spaced. Please explain further.

Thanks for the responses.
Tom

There is no harness connector between the sensor and the PCM

Pin 1 on sensor plug is 5volts
Pin 2 is sensor ground
Pin 3 is Sensor signal back to PCM

Disconnect wires from vehicle speed sensor. Remove adapter clamp and screw . Remove speed sensor and speedometer adapter as an assembly. Remove speed sensor retaining screw and remove sensor from adapter. Remove speedometer pinion from adapter.Replace pinion if chipped, cracked, or worn.Inspect sensor and adapter O-rings. Remove and discard O-rings if worn or damaged. Inspect terminal pins in speed sensor. Clean pins with Mopar electrical spray cleaner if dirty or oxidized. Replace sensor if faulty, or if pins are loose,severely corroded, or damaged.

Thoroughly clean adapter flange and adapter mounting surface in housing. Surfaces must be clean for proper adapter alignment and speedometer operation.Install new O-rings on speed sensor and speedometer adapter if necessary. Lubricate sensor and adapter O-rings with transmission fluid. Install vehicle speed sensor in speedometer adapter. Tighten sensor attaching screw to (15-27 in. lbs.) torque. Install speedometer pinion in adapter. Count number of teeth on speedometer pinion. Do this before installing assembly in housing. Then lubricate pinion teeth with transmission fluid. Note index numbers on adapter body.These numbers will correspond to number of teeth on pinion.Install speedometer assembly in housing. Rotate adapter until required range numbers are at 6 o-clock position. Be sure range index numbers correspond to number of teeth on pinion gear. Install speedometer adapter clamp and retaining screw. Tighten clamp screw to (90-110 in. lbs.) torque. Connect wires to vehicle speed sensor.​

hope this helps...

McQue

Back