• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm question

Triple4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the thing, I have a 1988 Comanche. I did a spring over in the rear and I made up the front with skyjacker 3'' springs and 2, 1.75 pucks. Now I have some RE 6'' springs. The thing I am wondering is to put the 6'' springs under my truck will I need a long arm setup? If so do I have to relocate the upper control arms? Will I need a different trac bar? If I do the long arm how long should the lowers be, I was thinking somewhere about 36''. All the help and advise would be great.
Think You,
Holden

Do you have any pictures, they would probably help. What trac bar do you have now? You will need an adjustable one and most likely a heavy duty one. Instead of going long arms you can probably just go with drop brackets for the lower control arms but if we had pictures to see the angles that would help alot.

-Alex

TuffTruck005.jpg

TuffTruck004.jpg

TuffTruck003.jpg

TuffTruck002.jpg

TuffTruck001.jpg

So this is what I have. Its home made but it did the job now I what to level it out and get the spring under it.
Think Again,
Holden

1. Get longer arms. Short arms at that angle with a 6" lift will cause poor caster, poor pinion angle, and be a harsh ride. Even short arms that are adjustable on both upper and lower, it will ride like crap, IMO.

2. You need an adjustable track bar. Even with 3+", I recommend one. Get a new TB bracket on the frame side too. An RE or TnT one will do fine.

3. Longer brake lines.

in theory you can ditch the pucks and springs and just use the new springs.

doing this will give you the same ride as before

at the same time the ride that you have now is probably vey harsh.

therefore i would long arm it

The other option you have is the Rubicon Express control arm drop brackets. They won't give you as much articulation as long arms will, but it is easier to install them. I had them in my MJ with SOA, I was around the 6-7" mark, and they rode great on the road. Search around a bit for those, there's a lot of info on here about them. To answer your other question, yes you will need a new track bar. What track bar to you currently have? You'll also probably need a drop pitman arm to help correct some of your steering as it will be pretty stretched out at 6"+. Even just using a ZJ pitman arm is an inexpensive help and will get you an extra inch. Look into track bars that have an HD mount that drops the frame end of the bar some, as that helps with the angles also. I know the TNT bar is good, I think that Rock Krawler also offers a bar with the bracket, as does Rusty's, and maybe JKS.

Ok thanks for all the info. It really helps, I guess i need more than what I thought to do the long arm conversion. Another thing I can make my own crossmember but what do I bolt to, the 4 little bolts holding in the stock crossmember have me worried about holding in the hole front end. I am hard on this truck I do jump it and wheel it hard.
Thanks again,
Holden

Back