• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how long to weld stiffeners?

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
to start, I read a lot more than I post, and generally research stuff for months before i committ to something. That said, I have a set of TNT's frame stiffeners sitting in my shed. They are all set with rosettes and they will be stitched. The jeep is prepped. those aren't my issues. My problem is that I don't know how to weld, and don't have any friends locally who can do it.

before I source the job out, I would like to know how long welding up both sides takes total. I'd say there are about 20 1/2" rosettes per side, and whatever stitching is required. For people who have installed these, what is the timeframe for getting these all welded up in one sitting? If its too long, I'll probably end up driving an hour to have a fellow NAXJAer burn them in for me.

kenny

You are on the wrong coast for me to do it. I am sure someone over there can.
I am in the middle of making my own plates. Not done yet, so I can't tell you how long.

Definately go to the NAXJA friend. I have the T&T unibody stiffeners and although they seem like a very straight-forward weld, they are not. They work great, but, the outside edge is very hard to get your gun into and you wind up doing a stitch-weld along the outside of both rails. The inside is pretty easy (as you have room) but you need to move the gas lines out of the way, etc. I welded mine in myself and expected to take a couple of hours. That was not the case and it took me an afternoon or longer. Also, while doing the stitch-weld, you really need to make sure you're getting good penetration between the two surfaces as there will be a pretty significant gap where it is REALLY hard to get your gun to reach. The shhet metal in the unibody is touchy while the 3/16" stiffener is super-tough (easy to burn through one or not get enough heat to the other).

Also, just a hint to do it right: When you put the rails in place (before you start welding), follow the instructions and jack the vehicle up under the rails to get the sag out of the rails. You can check this by your door gaps. Once they are even and the doors open and close right, you can start welding.

Good luck! If you run into any issues, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

KJ

Probably an hour to actually weld them. You need to jack and clamp them into place. They will form to the rail as you jack up against then. You will need a bunch of large c clamps also. If you use mig it wont like dirty metal so you need to prep the rails. The stiffeners tie in to the edge of the rear leaf spring mount so you want to be sure its back far enough. You know do a mock up before you actually get ready to weld. What about the cross member? I used a TNT long arm kit with the new skid pan so I had to deal with the different bolts. You may need slightly longer bolts???? I think you have to mess with the park brake bracket also. I also had to remove my lower control arm mounts. I don't remember how close you will be to that area? Mock it all up. Figure everything out. Then you will be ready for someone to weld it. Total you may have a few hours or more. Actually weld maybe less then 1/2 hour.

x2 what he said above about the metal

Lots of variables here..........if the areas to be welded are ground clean and ready to go and you have a jack and clamps to make them fit tight and you've already pulled the crossmember studs and replaced them with longer bolts, plus the e-brake bracket bolts holes will need to be drilled in the stiffeners. If not, then I'd plan on the better part of a Saturday.

Factor in cool down time along, with welding time so you minimize warpage and if you want a smooth look, grinding time on the rosettes.
If not, then it will take you less.......I wasn't timing myself when I installed mine and I had multiple processes going on so it's hard for me to get more exact than that.

When welding, focus your stinger on the stiffener and work the weld bead to the unibody to eliminate the potential of burning through the thinner unibody. Good luck!

Last edited:
this is pretty much what i expected to hear. everything will be fully prepped prior to going to any shop or anyone else to burn them in. the rails will be ground down for the stitches and the rosettes, and the proper holes will be drilled for the brake bracket, etc. Again, I won't be doing the welding, but I'm a pretty terrible judge of time, so I figured I'd ask. I didn't think the actual welding would be that long, its all the moving around to avoid heat buildup and cool down time that will take a while. Looks like i'll be visiting chris.

Here is how I did mine and I spent a weekend.

IMG_1021.jpg

Hey man, I have TnT's too, me and a buddy are burnin emm home up here at WCU in a week or 2, WCU-Clemson is 1.5 hours if you come up through the scenic route

Bring beer and a baseball bat... some Gamecock fan lives next to me... Won't accept defeat..

Last edited:
Zac,

Unfortunately, I am no longer at Clemson. I'm at UNC for med school. I had some friends at Clemson that could weld, hence my current problem. Do you think you might do them this weekend, being that it is MLK weekend and all that? Its about a 4 hour drive I think, but I'm from Asheville, and I could stop and visit the folks I suppose. I'll send you a PM

Kenny

lowrange2 said:
Hmm - You were only half an hour from me at Clemson.

Yeah I miss the place. good school, family was close, good club there too. plus Gulches was right down the road.

As far as those gamecocks...I don't know of another school that has been ranked #6 in the nation in football, and then in the same season, finished 6-6 without a bowl game. 5 straight losses. Go Tigers!

Are 1/2" holes big enough for rosettes on 3/16" plate, or is 3/4" the way to go? I'm almost done driling 1/2" in one stiffener, and I really don't want to go to 3/4". Maybe 5/8 is better?

there are a bunch of guys in Carolina that I am sure would help..

I can not right now.. due to no time with new baby..

but check out nc4x4.com

i am sure we can find someone to help ya..

BRUISER said:
there are a bunch of guys in Carolina that I am sure would help..

I can not right now.. due to no time with new baby..

but check out nc4x4.com

i am sure we can find someone to help ya..

Bruiser,

got someone in greensboro to lend a hand. thanks for the site, I've checked it out before.

Kenny

Back