• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help deciding

pokeyxj

NAXJA Forum User
An old man (84) used his Buick to hit my 92 XJ Laredo in the parking lot at my sons work. The Xj has 190K miles, new 30X9.50 BFG At's, 2" lift, an alarm and a new Alpine stereo and speakers. The jeep was in great shape except some paint fading. Anyway, The old mans insurance gave me the jeep and $2300. Pretty fair but the jeep has a salvage title now. It was hit on the right front wheel/tire. The damage appears to be the right front fender, the bumper, the fiberglass piece that has the headlight buckets in it,the grill and the wheel. Possibly the tracbar joint at the frame end. I spent one hour Saturday and took the fender flare off, the inner wheel well liner out and the fender front backet off. I was able to pull the fender out so now I can drive it. I didn't see any obvious damage to frame, (measurements are square) radiator, steering or sway bar. My delema is whether to fix it or just drive it until I can replace it? What do you guys/gals think. Please ,I'm not parting it out.

Last edited:
If you like the Jeep then fix it. Who cares what kind of title it has you're never going to get anything out of it if you sell it anyway.
Most of us on here have Jeeps that are worth less than the insurance company paid you if you look at Blue Book values.

It's a real luxury to have a spare vehicle around that you can count on...so, if it is not too much of a strain on the wallet, I would keep it running and registered as a backup utility vehicle.

I just got through with the same scenario-- insurance paid book value in a check to me and sais "fix it if you want to"-- I was lucky enough to not get a salvage title, but I decided that since it's a Jeep and it's gonna live out it's life as a toy, I'd dump the $1800 into other goodies and keep it until it's worth nothing anyway!

it boils down to-- you'll never get squat for it with a salvage title, so unless you really have to have a straight body, use the $$$ to make it more enjoyable for you to drive and play with!

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to fix the things I absolutely have too and drive the heck out of it. I need a header panel and headlight, turn signal and side marker.

since it's under a salvage title you shouldn't have any reservations about getting what you can from a junk yard anymore like some Jeep snobs I've talked to! (not on this board though:patriot: )

Back