• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint or Scheib?

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
1988 Jeep XJ with standard oxidized clear coat and surface rust: Do I spray paint some gunk on with my horrible freight sprayer or get a cheap paint job from Earl Scheib? Is it worth it to get a cheap paint job from Earl or spend my time to sand it and spray it? I dont want it too look too bad even if its gonna get scraped and scratched.

Scheib might not be too bad if YOU do some prep work. The PO of my XJ had a Scheib paint job. They didn't mask much, including the mirror housings and front grill. It HAS started to flake in a few spots.

grassmanMI said:
its an 88? just spray bomb it. its a jeep not a vette

i want to lean towards this opinion, only because its easy touchup for when you most likely will screw up the paint.

rag said:
i want to lean towards this opinion, only because its easy touchup for when you most likely will screw up the paint.

I had Macco do mine when they ran a good special. Cost me $600. Get them to give you a can of touch-up paint, and when a rock bites you, you can cover it up pretty good.

Is working good for me!

I started to spray bomb mine, only to realize I really suck at paint consistency... I've got drips everywhere.

I think mine will be getting the Schieb treatment sooner or later, but I'll be de-trimming the Jeep before it goes in.

I say paint it yourself
“If you have the equipment” to paint then overall it will cost less to do it yourself.
And you may enjoy the project and the accomplishment when done
To get a good job you will have to do all the sanding and prep work yourself and you can buy paint online, paint primer,hardner you will spend about $150.00
Also very limited color choice but Tractor farm supply have automotive enamel and primer but the cost is very close to buying the color you want online
Prep supplies like sand discs,paper,cleaner ect another 60-80 bucks.
So you will spend around 250.00 to 300.00 with your labor and can get a nice job.
Around were I live you can’t get a paint job with all the prep work for less than 1500.00 and even if you find a shop to spray your truck that you have prep they won’t warrantee your work so if the paint peels your SOL and it still cost 600.00-900.00
Or if you don’t think you want to go through all that work sand it down and use the spray can as mentioned.

Back